Council tax Tribunal appeal failed. What next?

Options
2»

Comments

• Gwyn9999
    Options
    Sorry I did miss your reply.
    The VOA didn't provide a massive amount of evidence. He could only find 2 houses of equivalent banding. These houses were a similar size and design, equivalent bedrooms, similar area providing similar amenities. They were built in 1996 and therefore also weren't built before 1991. Prior to these 2 houses been built there was no evidence of any other equivalent houses in the area and therefore they were difficult to band. They were handed E and never challenged.
    There has since been many houses built in the area of very similar design, size and close to amenities. They have all been banded D. This was our evidence. We found these houses were equivalent in every way and could be considered to be located in a more desirable location.
    The only other evidence from the VOA was the housing markets within the area and how his 2 properties were within the banding of E if you take these into account. However other market trends show that this could be incorrect as they band his evidence in D. This was our counter argument and both pieces of evidence were deemed inconclusive. This was also evidenced using 2 independent online calculators which both agreed with our findings. I understand that this isn't taken as strong evidence in a VT.
    So to sum up the VT the housing market trends was deemed inconclusive as we both submitted strong arguments for both D and E banding. We provided a strong case for many houses that are in band D and are of a equivalent price, design, size and location. In my eyes the evidence on the day is the only evidence that should be used.
    However the decision and all the evidence was overridden entirely by the VOAs experience of market trends.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    House price indices are inaccurate, I proved this many times by looking at actual sale prices and the HPI calculated value.

I can understand your frustration, but I do not believe the VT's decision was perverse. They simply decided that in the absence of any comparable 1991 sale price, they were persuaded by the VOA's experience and that is permissible and certainly not a sign of being extremely corrupt! It is possible if the case had been heard by 2 different VT members they may have reached a different decision, but that can be said of any Tribunal where the evidence is not definitive.

With a VT you really only get one bite of the cherry, there is no appeal on the basis of disagreeing with the decision where it is a matter of valuation. I cannot see any grounds for an appeal on a point of law or that the VT acted or conducted the hearing improperly.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure