Giants causeway

Options

Comments

• Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    snowmen wrote: »
    Going to the giants causeway next weekend.
    There will be 5 of us and just seen the charge of 8.50 pet person if you park at the causeway.
    Just wondered - if we became members of the national trust would we then be able to park for free? Would the visitor centre also be free then too?

just drop the other 4 guests off just before the car park.
  • snowmen
    snowmen Posts: 637 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just an update that may help others ...

Went today and parked in the Causeway Hotel (next to the visitor's centre). Didn't realise that this hotel was owned by the National Trust also and was approached by a national trust member of staff on the entrance to the hotel car park.
    Was asked on what I was planning to do and he started going into the spiel of going to the visitors centre and paying the entrance fee.
    Cut him short and said that I was just going to the hotel for a cup of tea. He said to keep a copy of the receipt (which he asked for on the way out).
    We got our tea/coffee and buns in the hotel and then walked over the grass roof of the visitors centre and down the steps to join the path to the causeway.
    On speaking to some of the workers in the hotel they said they sometimes they even have trouble coming in to the car park themselves and they work there, complaining of the pushy nature of the national trust colleagues in the car park.
    Note if you have children - the hotel were more than happy for you to use the toilet in the hotel before and after going down to the giants causeway which was great for us!
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would love to try this - and would do if a had a car full of adults.
    Unfortunately I will have a 4 and 7 year-old too so the walk might be too far for them.
    Will try when I don't have the kids with me!

I've done it with a 6yo. 4 might be a little young.
    On longer walks the pace can be a bit slower with smaller kids, but the length is not a particular issue - we've done 5 or 6 miles before - you just need to factor in breaks.

Last time I was at the Causeway, there was an outside accessible toilet at the visitor's centre (with a queue).
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just an update that may help others ...

Went today and parked in the Causeway Hotel (next to the visitor's centre). Didn't realise that this hotel was owned by the National Trust also and was approached by a national trust member of staff on the entrance to the hotel car park.
    Was asked on what I was planning to do and he started going into the spiel of going to the visitors centre and paying the entrance fee.
    Cut him short and said that I was just going to the hotel for a cup of tea. He said to keep a copy of the receipt (which he asked for on the way out).
    We got our tea/coffee and buns in the hotel and then walked over the grass roof of the visitors centre and down the steps to join the path to the causeway.
    On speaking to some of the workers in the hotel they said they sometimes they even have trouble coming in to the car park themselves and they work there, complaining of the pushy nature of the national trust colleagues in the car park.
    Note if you have children - the hotel were more than happy for you to use the toilet in the hotel before and after going down to the giants causeway which was great for us!

Erm, does the NT own the hotel? If not, I'd tell their staff to **** off and then let the hotel know that they're harassing guests...
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its a totally ridiculous price and is aimed at wealthy tourists,especially Americans. But it means people from here will avoid it and thats not right.
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • redped
    redped Posts: 728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tara747 wrote: »
    Erm, does the NT own the hotel? If not, I'd tell their staff to **** off and then let the hotel know that they're harassing guests...

Looks like it - NT logo plastered all over their website, and the email address on http://www.thecausewayhotel.com/about-the-causeway-hotel is a National Trust address.
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tara747 wrote: »
    Erm, does the NT own the hotel?

They seem to... I'm not sure since when, but I'm guessing that taking control of it would have been part of the strategy of exploiting the causeway...
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm going to play devils' advocate here - there's a very simple answer - join the National Trust! Family membership is £114 per annum which means unlimited visits and parking at all NT properties UK wide - great value.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Either you think it's worth paying towards the upkeep of our heritage or you don't. But if you don't think it's worth paying for then why are you visiting it? I know that's putting it a bit provocatively but the NT aren't charging because there are private shareholders getting a cut, they are doing a good job in maintaining our culture and heritage and into the bargain are attracting money into Northern Ireland by making such a good offer to tourists. It's reasonable to question the costs but I'm not sure 'exploiting the causeway' is the way I'd put it. Nor would I be comfortable being unpleasant to NT staff who are just doing their jobs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure