When do I stop paying?

Options
Hi, I have a 14 year old daughter I have not see her since she was 1. I have paid every month without fail £195 by private arrangements I do not speak with her mum or know where they are. When will my payments end etc and how do I know when if I have no contact. I feel I have paid long enough for someone I've never seen and I have a step son and a son already so paying for 3 kids 2 I live with and the daughter I don't see. I think when she's 16 I may need to go to a solicitor in order to stop paying the money. I earn £40k per annum and have always paid the £195. Any advice is great

Comments

• Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You basically have to pay until they are aged 20 if they stay in full time non advanced education until that age.

If however they leave school and start working at 16 then you don’t need to pay either.

The key fact is that when child benefit stops child maintenance stops. It is not easy to find this out.

If you rock the boat your ex may go direct to CMS and on your salary you could possibly pay more . You will however have the 2 children who live with you taken into account so worth checking the calculator below to see what it says.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance/y
  • NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    Options
    /its 20. why don't you see your daughter?
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 650 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From what you say if your ex goes down the CMS route you will be liable to pay £300-£350 per month so probably better to stay with your private agreement and not rock the boat if everyone is happy with that.

Very few children stop qualifying at 16 these days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure