Tax Credits Overpayment issues 7 months later.....

Options
I’m STILL having problems with them taking 50% off my current claim for overpayments included in my bankruptcy!!

This has been going on since July. I was eventually advised to put in a “financial hardship claim” in November which stopped the reduction but low and behold , it’s starting back up in April :mad:

I’ve already wrote two letters of complaint and received a reply in November that just confirmed what I already knew and that the bankruptcy team would contact me in due course, heard zilcho!!

What’s my next steps? I’ve cleared any amounts on joint claims and they actually owe me money back for taking some towards my single one.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Was it a joint, or single claim you had ?

Because in a joint claim, if only one of you was made bankrupt, they can still recover the over payment from the other party.

If that's not the case, and its a genuine error, then your options for contact are limited, i would say try ringing the help line and get the agent to pass your details to the bankruptcy team again.

But you are correct that any tax credits over payment will cease to be recoverable from the date a person enters bankruptcy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • debt_doctor
    Options
    If your formal complaint has not been dealt with then you need to move to the next step, which is here:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-appeals-complaints/complaints

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • mummyofboys1985
    Options
    Thanks ,

The overpayments were on single claims and joint claims but they put the amounts into one amount and now keep referring to the full amount as !!!8220;joint!!!8221; when it!!!8217;s not!!

We have paid the amount owed for joint overpayments and it!!!8217;s only the single amounts left but they keep saying joint joint joint grrrrrrrrr.

They!!!8217;ve just sent a letter saying my partner is liable as we have a joint claim.

I!!!8217;m losing the will to live
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there,

I understand this must be a very frustrating situation and the complaint route is definitely something that is available to you. Try and gather as much evidence as you can regarding dates, and paperwork confirming what you were paying. If you received an acknowledgement of your complaint from November but no reply, you should look to escalate the complaint within the HMRC.

Please be aware that there are some circumstances where the continued deduction could be possible. One would be that if the overpayment is deemed to be fraudulent, then I am afraid, it is an excluded debt from bankruptcy.

The other issue (which is a bit confusing) is that you say you repaid a joint overpayment in full, which means that only a sole one outstanding and therefore no further recovery should be taken after the bankruptcy. It would help if you have something in writing from HMRC confirming a joint overpayment has been cleared in full and then (at a later date) a sole overpayment occurred. If you can clearly show this there can be no confusion of what you paid.

However, if a sole and joint overpayment were both outstanding at the same time, there is no guarantee which account your payments were allocated to. In other words, you may have thought you were paying back a joint overpayment but it was actually clearing a sole debt. If this is the case, and your partner isn't bankrupt then the HMRC could continue to take deductions from your ongoing joint award because your partner is still liable.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • mummyofboys1985
    Options
    This is the issue though.

They put all outstanding amounts together. So I had 3 amounts 2010-11 2011-12 2012-13. These form part of my bankruptcy. Then 2013-14 2015-16 & 2016-17. The deductions made between May - November last year clear all the joint overpayments from 2013 onwards. However they now say they are collecting a joint overpayments for 2016-2017 for over £2700 but it!!!8217;s actually my single amounts from 2010 - 2013.

It!!!8217;s just a mess and they can!!!8217;t seem to work out what they have done!

I do have my suspicions that they are going to say payments deducted between May - July 13th when I was made bankrupt, have been used to pay part of single amounts and I will still owe something !!!55357;!!!56873;
  • Pricivius
    Options
    My understanding of repaying a group of overpayments is that the repayments are not allocated to each separate overpayment in turn or at random - they just pay down the overall sum. Therefore, how do you know that the payments you have already made were specifically allocated to the joint overpayments, rather than your earlier single overpayments?
  • mummyofboys1985
    Options
    I don!!!8217;t know that for sure but they should have been, at least from 13 th July.

That is what!!!8217;s happening, however the overall sum is wrongly being classed as a joint overpayments when it!!!8217;s not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure