British Gas customers - there’s a hidden way to cut £130+ off your bill…

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• han_nah95_2
    Options
    I am already with British Gas fixed until August 2019.

Will I be charged a exit fee to move tariffs?
    Viewed House: 29/02/2020
    Offer made: 29/02/2020
    Offer accepted: 01/03/2020
    Exchanged contracts: 13/05/2020
    Completed: 13/05/2020
  • Carole_McMahon
    Options
    Not sure what’s happening with British Gas at the moment but think they’ve got service problems. I’ve just switched to a cheaper supplier but still have home care plan for boiler cover which requires annual service. They’ve just cancelled my service appointment for today which I arranged months ago, as there are ‘so many breakdowns in my area’ and can’t now do it til January so we have to go all through Xmas with risk of boiler breakdown! & that’s after paying them £20-£30 a month for years with no call outs!! Any other ideas for better options?? With all their adverts saying how they can fix anything & their ‘hero for that’ campaign I think they’ve bitten off more than they can chew & cant now service existing clients! Either that or they’re losing customers and cutting costs. Watch this space!!
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 November 2017 at 1:02PM
    Options
    We've also been with BG for years, and have had no problems with the boiler servicing.

However, we have always had the annual service done by the end of August, rather than leave it until the last minute.

We were told by a BG engineer that they have major problems every year with people who don't use the heating for months, switch it on at the first sign of frost and then wonder why they have a problem. They prioritise repair call-outs to the elderly and the infirm, thereby leaving routine servicing to the end.

It isn't a matter of not having enough staff to cope - if they did, then many of these 'extra' engineers wouldn't have enough work to do in the rest of the year. That isn't good business management.
  • simonhunter87
    Options
    hang on a minute...i thought that ofgem ruled energy suppliers must always inform and offer you the best value tariff for you that they have based on your estimated consumption? they even extended this to cover white labels like sainsburys...

isn't this in breach of the ofgem rules as they aren't informing customers and are only offering it to those who try to switch through 3rd parties like MSE?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure