When does an employment contract end?

Options
Ross1295
Ross1295 Posts: 10 Forumite
I have worked the same part time job from October 2012. I went to uni last year and continued to work there part time when I came back in the holidays. However, over the last two holiday periods, my manager just hasn't bothered to reply when I've asked for shifts. I'm just wondering what my rights are in terms of if they have to give me hours or not because I'm really struggling without an income and uni is taking up a lot of my time. I haven't worked there since last August and I can't find on the internet if contracts automatically expire after a certain time - please advise so I don't have to worry about it anymore either way :)

Basically - Noone has told me I have lost my job. On the other hand, they won't give me hours. Is there an in between?

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Were you engaged on a zero hours contract?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Ross1295
    Options
    I was on a 16 hour contract but I obviously wasn't doing that while I was at uni, which is where my confusion comes in as to how it works.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Ross1295 wrote: »
    I was on a 16 hour contract but I obviously wasn't doing that while I was at uni, which is where my confusion comes in as to how it works.

Well Preumbely it ended every time you failed to attend work? I mean it's not that simple, but you are going to struggle to win any claim if you weren't working when contractually you should've been
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you received a form P45 from your employer? Have you received a form P60 in the last few weeks? When was your last payslip issued?
  • Ross1295
    edited 24 May 2017 at 1:33PM
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Well Preumbely it ended every time you failed to attend work? I mean it's not that simple, but you are going to struggle to win any claim if you weren't working when contractually you should've been

They knew I was going to uni so they just didn't give me hours while I was there. I never failed to attend work. I don't want to make a claim, I just want to know if I have still the right to work my contracted hours.
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Have you received a form P45 from your employer? Have you received a form P60 in the last few weeks? When was your last payslip issued?

I'm not at home right now, my P60 will have been sent there and I wouldn't expect to have had a P45. In what situation could they have sent me a P45? My last payslip would have been September/October holiday pay I think, but they are sent to the manager so I haven't seen one since then as I haven't been in. I would expect that I'm still being issued a payslip for £0 because noone has told me otherwise.

My basic question is: I have a contract, but does it still mean anything?
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    What does it say in your contract about your working hours? Or term of employment?
  • Ross1295
    edited 24 May 2017 at 1:50PM
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    What does it say in your contract about your working hours? Or term of employment?

I'm sorry I don't have my contract on me, but it is a 16 hour contract and I signed it when I first started nearly 5 years ago. It's a huge company so I guess pretty standard? I assumed this meant I had a job until they wanted to dismiss me or I wanted to leave. Regardless, how can I not have a job there if noone has told me I don't?

When I've messaged asking for hours they don't say "You don't have a job here any more" they just don't reply?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless it was specifically mentioned that you had a position in the firm to return to I would think you left your position to go to university as you were not able to perform your 16 hours a week, you broke your contract so no longer have a job.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 May 2017 at 2:02PM
    Options
    Ross1295 wrote: »
    They knew I was going to uni so they just didn't give me hours while I was there. I never failed to attend work. I don't want to make a claim, I just want to know if I have still the right to work my contracted hours.

I'm not at home right now, my P60 will have been sent there and I wouldn't expect to have had a P45. In what situation could they have sent me a P45? My last payslip would have been September/October holiday pay I think, but they are sent to the manager so I haven't seen one since then as I haven't been in. I would expect that I'm still being issued a payslip for £0 because noone has told me otherwise.

My basic question is: I have a contract, but does it still mean anything?

You need to find out whether a P60 has been issued. If it hasn't they appear not to think you are on their payroll. If it has, you are still an employee. They actually have until the end of May to issue employees with P60 forms so its absence right now doesn't mean so much.

It's your payslip, not your manager's. So if one is issued it is meant to be provided to you on or before the payment.

It is unlikely that any payslip will have been issued with £0 payment. However, if you had paid any tax (not NI which is different), and if you weren't on a W1/M1 basis (non cumulative), there could have been another payment made up of refunded tax.

Regarding messaging them about shifts - are you sure the method you are trying to use is still operational? Can you contact them by phone or, say, FB to check the way to contact them about allocation of shifts?
  • Ross1295
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Unless it was specifically mentioned that you had a position in the firm to return to I would think you left your position to go to university as you were not able to perform your 16 hours a week, you broke your contract so no longer have a job.

Thanks, that answers my question but raises another one, in that I'd already done that for the whole of last year and my contract was still valid? When exactly would my contract have been broken?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure