How Much Do You Budget For Groceries?

Options

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    I agree suki I spend a lot of time to ensure we are getting enough protein in our diet and have at least the minimum dietary recommendation, we eat loads of fruit and veg, no processed food. My curried lentil, parsnip & apple soup cost 11p a portion, hm bread rolls again cost pence, I always have lots of fruit for snacks at work as if I get hungry it really messes me up I'm a slave to my stomach. So my lunch which is much healthier than a lot of my colleagues, I know exactly what has gone into it (only good stuff) and it costs me less than 50p a day
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Healthinmind
    Options
    I was concerned reading about some people talking of cheap baked beans and £1 tescos pizza. This is not nutritious, and for me would not mean a good way to reduce spending. I am glad to know it is possible to budget and eat fresh food, I just don't seem to be managing it! Sadly we do have to buy everything we eat, so no yummy home grown veg for us :( . This is really a useful conversation thread, helping me consider things....I have been raising the topic with my friends and it is very interesting how we are so different in our approach.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was concerned reading about some people talking of cheap baked beans and £1 tescos pizza. This is not nutritious, and for me would not mean a good way to reduce spending. I am glad to know it is possible to budget and eat fresh food, I just don't seem to be managing it! Sadly we do have to buy everything we eat, so no yummy home grown veg for us :( . This is really a useful conversation thread, helping me consider things....I have been raising the topic with my friends and it is very interesting how we are so different in our approach.

But you see, both of those things can have their place. Bakes beans are eaten very occasionally in this house - occasionally enough that I'll quite happily buy mid-range ones, Branston are favourites, Tesco own label if Branston can't be found on offer. Of course they're high in sugar - everyone knows that, but they are also high in fibre, and a good source of protein, as well as certain important vitamins. As for that "Tesco £1 pizza" - Pizza can be a great way of sneaking vegetables into small children, and it;'s dead easy to add things to a bought pizza for a more nutritious meal!

It's very easy to make the assumption that because someone is spending more on their food, that means they are somehow eating better than someone who's spending half the money, or less. It can be foolish to think that way though as really it comes down entirely to what the money is being spent on. Our sub £150p/m budget leqaves us eating a lot more healthily than many who spend a substantial amount more, but spend that additional amount buying processed foods, ready meals, and high quantities of alcohol.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • amateur_house
    Options
    MrsTinks wrote: »
    £100 per adult (and lets be fair those 20 year olds eat like animals!!!) doesn't seem unreasonable! Have you tried the OS board here for ideas on bulk cooking when it's for that many people? Does it include cleaning and toiletries?

No, I've not seen that but will have a look. Yes, the £500 includes everything, and we even manage a takeaway once in a while. You are right about the amount they eat though, it must be about twice the amount I eat myself!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Indeed, if a family was eating pizza and baked beans daily, there's a problem

I do eat baked beans, I also eat pizza

Baked beans are full of protein. Ok they CAN be high salt and sugar, but incorporated into a healthy varied diet, they are not a problem

Same as pizza. Now I'm the first to admit I'm spoiled and DH built me a pizza oven. Since I've that built I would never eat a shop bought one again. However I do sometimes buy bases from lidl. A smear of passata, a few chunks of mozzarella , onions, peppers, tomato and basil, you have a perfectly good meal I also add anchovies and olives for the added nutirents. Some would add artichoke hearts, eggs, green veg. Thing is pizza isn't 'bad' it's how you load it that can cause problems Both the Italians and the Turks eat extremely thin crust pizza with very little ( if any) cheese They don't have the heart problems we suffer. A lot of people on a budget buy the cheapo pizza and add the toppings of their choice. Is that a bad choice? I wouldn't say so, it's a better choice then a dominos triple decker with extra cheese

Proper food as I see it is as close to the raw as possible. Hence I eat butter and drink full fat milk. I also know how to cook and so am less reliant on processed meats.

Proper food doesn't need to be expensive. We often have steak and wild salmon, fresh mackerel, etc. What I've learned is how to stretch what we have. I couldn't eat an 8oz steak in a resturaunt ( seriously I couldn't ) so I will buy two steaks for the three of us to eat at home. Even one good quality steak I can stretch to three, slicing thin , stir frying with veg, mixing into a sauce, piling on to a ciabatta, serving with a salad - good proper healthy food served cheaply.

it really is easy to eat healthily on a reduced budget. Takes some cooking skills, takes some time ( yes I spend an hour at least in the kitchen a day ) and you need to think outside the box

Please don't think us on small budgets are eating carp 24/7. We aren't
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't be happy with our budget if I thought it meant we were not feeding ourselves and our baby well. As it is, she eats loads of varied fruit and veg.

I find bulk buying helps (when there's an offer on the pasta we like, I'll empty the shelves) as does frozen veg because it reduces waste. If we have fresh veg going off, I'll make a soup or risotto.

Costco can be good too. Excellent sausages, for example.
  • omendata
    omendata Posts: 102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 16 October 2016 at 1:54AM
    Options
    Since losing my job due to a cancer scare 2 years ago and not being able to find another due to my age, i have had to optimise my shopping , spending and bills.

I have found that Thursday approximately 7pm onward at my local Asda the best bargains are to be had; from Loaves at 10p to main meals at 25p - some items even reach 1p, my monthly shopping has gone from £150 to £30 or even less!!!

I often hear people say that its too expensive to cook from scratch or eat healthily but i seem to manage quite well especially as Asda has mounds of fresh fruit and vegetables nearing their sell by date for on average 10p for anything at the witching hour before closing. Stick it all in the blender and make a nice smoothie or mix it into a nice curry - not that hard , i think people these days are just fat , lazy and stupid in general and want everything done for them!

I dont even rely on benefits as I am currently not signing on the Job centre but existing on my savings so if i can make do and eat healthily , exercise and keep myself fit , I find it maddening when i see those people on benefits saying they cannot survive on £600 a month - if they gave up their £7 packs of fags every day and tried to live within their means I am sure they wouldnt be moaning!

I wonder if anyone can beat that other than dumpster diving which I have considered but couldnt get access to the actual bins!
  • Healthinmind
    Options
    Hi don't be mad! I didn't mean to offend or criticise, things are hard and I am trying to be healthy as cheaply as possible, like you guys. I am on here to get ideas, not to criticise or be criticised...we all have to do what we can with the shops around us and within our physical limits ( I can't always cook due to my condition, so the ready meals help with that, and I am unable to travel to shop at lidles or aldi). I include our entertainment stuff ( the wine for weekends with friends) in our food budget, so I know exactly what is going out. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
  • Healthinmind
    Options
    omendata wrote: »
    Since losing my job due to a cancer scare 2 years ago and not being able to find another due to my age, i have had to optimise my shopping , spending and bills.

I have found that Thursday approximately 7pm onward at my local Asda the best bargains are to be had; from Loaves at 10p to main meals at 25p - some items even reach 1p, my monthly shopping has gone from £150 to £30 or even less!!!

I often hear people say that its too expensive to cook from scratch or eat healthily but i seem to manage quite well especially as Asda has mounds of fresh fruit and vegetables nearing their sell by date for on average 10p for anything at the witching hour before closing. Stick it all in the blender and make a nice smoothie or mix it into a nice curry - not that hard , i think people these days are just fat , lazy and stupid in general and want everything done for them!

I dont even rely on benefits as I am currently not signing on the Job centre but existing on my savings so if i can make do and eat healthily , exercise and keep myself fit , I find it maddening when i see those people on benefits saying they cannot survive on £600 a month - if they gave up their £7 packs of fags every day and tried to live within their means I am sure they wouldnt be moaning!

I wonder if anyone can beat that other than dumpster diving which I have considered but couldnt get access to the actual bins!

Hi omendata, sorry for your situation, and thanks for sharing your savings tips. Wishing you good luck.. :)
  • Coffeekup
    Coffeekup Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll pip in with our story. 3 years ago me and my partner was spending about £120-180 a week on 2 adults and a 5 year old (at the time). I know this because we kept the receipts for 3 months and added them to a spread sheet. Within a weeks I saw where we could save money and set a limit if £100 per week. Then managed over the next few weeks to get it down to £60 p/w.

Waste
    I later added in the spreadsheet columns for what we wasted, most of which was fruit, veg and salad foods. Some weeks we threw in the bin £15 looking back it seems ridiculous. We stopped buying biscuits and packs of readymade cakes, which may turn some noses up but it helped us loose weight too as no late night pickings.

We used to eat a chicken breast each for some meals (apart from the little one), we now have half a breast each and the DD has what's marketed nowadays as the "fillet" of the breast. Also smaller portions sizes for us adult's helped as back then we were eating big plates, and was wasting food as had cooked too much.

Planning
    The other big thing that helped us save was putting £60 in a jar just for food, toiletries and cleaning stuff. Instead of us going shopping on separate occasions and then shopping with our own money we took the cash from the jar bought what we needed and put the change back in. 3 years on its still going strong.

We tried writing a planner, which did help to bring down the weekly cost, but could it got boring and after a while as we started to know where we was spending too much anyhow.

We stopped buying multi buy offers as that pushed us over our budget, at the end of the day if you don't have the cash there you can't spend it right? The multi buy offer didn't help with waste too.

Obvious one here look out for offers, the amount of people I see at the tills with say a 500g tub of margarine for £2 and the 1kg version is the same price or a few pence more, pains me to see.

Where you shop..... I walk from wilko's to b&m, poundland, iceland, savers to home bargains. What I can't get from these shops I'll then go to a supermarket and grab the rest I.e. fruit and veg.

We buy meat from the butchers as its far cheaper than supermarket, 5kg of chicken breast is £20 which works out at 22-26 pieces then all gets put in separate freezer bags in the freezer.
    You ask how can that £25 come out of one weeks money? Well our shops work out at £50-55 a week and every few weeks we have £40-60 still in the jar by the time we add another £60.

DIY
    We eat extremely well these days everything is home made/cooked. Home made bolognaise costs £5 and will feed 3 of us for 2 days with enough left over to make a chilli from on the 3rd day. To make it into a chilli costs 50p. Excluding rice and pasta that's £2 a day for the sauce or 70p per person. But the jar's of sauce work out at £1.50-2 last time I looked and IMHO there not as tasty.

We rerely eat take always (2-3 times a year) and when we do were usually left disappointed a lot of the time as we can make better on these days.

The only frozen products we buy are peas, mkain French fries and ice creams(in the summer).

For us the hardest months are the summer, with all the salads, wraps etc we eat the £60 a week is stretched. Autumn/winter and early spring, having soups, sauces (I.e. the bolognaise) even roast dinners don't cost as much as salads in the summer.
    Is their a right amound to spend? I think it all depends on you, your family size, where you live, how much effort you want to put in, how well you want to eat and how much you want to spend or how much you want to save/reduce the out goings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure