Will Amazon prime become a necessity for music purchases..?

Options
ernie-money
ernie-money Posts: 815 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 1 October 2016 at 2:11PM in Shop but don't drop
So... I have used Amazon for all our music purchases over the past few years, for a couple of reasons:
Autorip - Call me old fashioned, but we have a CD player in the car & we don't download music, just keep it on Amazon cloud player, so we can play it in the house using wifi, as not massive memory on iPad or phones, so it's perfect to pay for cd & get MP3 version for free.
Cloud player - it's all in one place. When you don't download the music, it's a pain having some on iTunes & some on Amazon or wherever.
Old music - all old albums now eligible for autorip, which I've bought on cd from Amazon in the past are on there, which is a fair amount of music.

This has always worked fine up until now. I've never paid for prime, because I normally just wait until I have £20 worth of stuff to order, so don't pay for delivery anyway & we only listen to the things we buy and don't stream other stuff. Recently however, I've noticed that some albums are not available to buy, unless you have prime membership. This baffled me, as I understand that they might offer discounts to prime members, but I can't see why they would refuse to sell items to everyone?
The first one I came across was Amber run - 5am. A fairly obscure title, so I thought, oh well, maybe they've got a special deal, because they are an up & coming band. Then however, I preordered Van Morrisons new album. We listened to it once on the day of release, but then I realised that I'd somehow used my company credit card when I paid (it's saved on my account, as I sometimes buy stuff for work) so I quickly cancelled the order, and went to replace it, ordering exactly the same items, but now Van Morrisons album is only available to prime members!
You can still pay to download it, but not buy the cd. I rang Amazon to query it, and they said that the status was changed to prime only yesterday.

I can't quite understand the reasoning, is it to force people to become prime members..? If so, will it spread to more and more titles..? I don't like being forced in to things, so now I am trying to decide what to do - abandon Amazon for iTunes, which would mean having our music library split over two locations, or bite the bullet & commit to paying for prime, for the pleasure of being able to buy the music I want..?
Has anyone else come across this, and what are your thought..?
I don't think I can hang on til Friday...

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think Prime is just a way to lock people into using Amazon. Prime is quick and easy -- one website where order everything with fast delivery. Once you're a member, the prepaid expedited delivery probably means that you won't shop with Amazon's competitors.

I'm amazed that it seems to be working. I can't imagine paying a shop for the pleasure of being able to... pay them to buy things.

For the price of a Prime subscription, you could buy a hard drive, rip your CDs, and (presumably?) abandon both Amazon and iTunes, keeping your music library on the drive.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I think Amazon are looking at offering an attractive package for Prime members. So music, cloud storage, included next day delivery etc.

I think the delivery is the only element worth paying for & Amazon are looking to enhance members benefits rather than make Music the sole attraction to sign up.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I noticed a few CDs which are "exclusive to Prime" and have been for a while

One of the Bob Dylan Bootleg Series releases and also the latest Elton John album spring to mind.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Prime is quick and easy -- one website where order everything with fast delivery.

You're funny.
  • ernie-money
    Options
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    I noticed a few CDs which are "exclusive to Prime" and have been for a while

One of the Bob Dylan Bootleg Series releases and also the latest Elton John album spring to mind.

It's odd though isn't it? Why would they refuse to sell certain items to non prime customers..? It doesn't make business sense does it..?
  • ernie-money
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    I think Prime is just a way to lock people into using Amazon. Prime is quick and easy -- one website where order everything with fast delivery. Once you're a member, the prepaid expedited delivery probably means that you won't shop with Amazon's competitors.

I'm amazed that it seems to be working. I can't imagine paying a shop for the pleasure of being able to... pay them to buy things.

For the price of a Prime subscription, you could buy a hard drive, rip your CDs, and (presumably?) abandon both Amazon and iTunes, keeping your music library on the drive.
    I guess you're right, but I would ideally like a "hard drive" that we could link to phones & iPads, and even take with us (my other half works away in the week, so would be very useful for him, when he has no internet) but I am just not very clued up when it comes to this sort of stuff. Is there an external memory for Apple products that works that way..?
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Is there an external memory for Apple products that works that way..?

Nope....Apple won't allow it.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I guess you're right, but I would ideally like a "hard drive" that we could link to phones & iPads, and even take with us (my other half works away in the week, so would be very useful for him, when he has no internet) but I am just not very clued up when it comes to this sort of stuff. Is there an external memory for Apple products that works that way..?

All my music is stored on my PC, so I can access it from phones and laptops at home over wi-fi. And you could copy the music files over to the iPhone for offline listening (although you're limited to the phone's capacity if it doesn't take memory cards).

In theory, a battery-powered portable hard drive with a built-in wireless/bluetooth adapter would work as "external memory" for an iPhone... I've no idea whether they exist, however!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure