Tax credits overpayment

Options
Last tax year I slightly underestimated me income (not on purpose) and I'm left with an overpayment to pay back.
I had estimated my income at £18k and I actually earned £19.5k.
HMRC are reducing my 4weekly payments by £150, I'm 2 reduced payments in and I'm finding it a struggle.

Can I ask HMRC to reduce this amount?

Comments

• Hmm71
    Hmm71 Posts: 479 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/things-go-wrong/overpayments/difficulty-repaying.htm

Yes you can ask, there's no guarantee they will say yes but phone and talk to them about it.
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    Options
    pebble17 wrote: »
    Last tax year I slightly underestimated me income (not on purpose) and I'm left with an overpayment to pay back.
    I had estimated my income at £18k and I actually earned £19.5k.
    HMRC are reducing my 4weekly payments by £150, I'm 2 reduced payments in and I'm finding it a struggle.

Can I ask HMRC to reduce this amount?

Dear pebble17,

As hmm71 has correctly pointed out, you may be able to come to a reasonable arrangement with the tax office. Although they may not reduce the total amount you have to repay, they may reduce your monthly repayments to make it more manageable. If however you still require further support, you could visit your local bureau. You can search for your local bureau by visiting www.citizensadvice.org.uk.

Kind regards,
    Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure