Onwards to freedom!

Options

Comments

• SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options
    Oh wow lots of people posting on my diary :) Thanks all for stopping by! It does feel great knowing our home is officially all ours :D
  • Elephantchunks
    Options
    Congratulations! Take that banks! I've not been here in months then this happens. Well done SSS you're an inspiration.
    "Why not now, OK so when and how," ElephantChunks.
    Electrics re-wire savings Oct 18 - March 2020 WE GOT ELECTRIC!
    Heating Loan Sept 0/£5000
    SPC14 #65
  • Escapar2020
    Options
    Well done SSS!

What have you got planned for the next 12-months? I hope you're going to enjoy using some of your OP money, you deserve a pat on the back ;-)
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    Amazing news very well done!!
    Enjoy celebrating!! :beer::j
    MF planning for the simple life :beer::j
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! That's fantastic, well done!!
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • NorthernMonkey1
    Options
    Your FI plan assumes than your investments can match inflation +4% in order to use them as a source of income.

Any funds held as cash can't really count towards a percentage towards FI, as they aren't earning an income.

It's always nice to hold a bit of cash, but £40k seems more than a bit, more like a huge wedge
  • NorthernMonkey1
    Options
    PS, massive massive congratulations on the mortgage.

We received our letter from the bank yesterday saying that the bank have removed any referenced to a mortgage from our deeds at the land registry, and the house is completely ours. It took about 2 or 3 weeks to come through, but a bit of that might have been due to christmas

I wanted to frame it, but Mrs NM said to stop being daft
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Great stuff SSS :beer::j:beer::j:beer:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Lexi-lu
    Lexi-lu Posts: 173 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Congratulations SSS, amazing achievement :)
    Mortgage Balance £0
  • SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options
    Thanks for posting everyone, love reading your congratulatory messages :)

A couple of good questions raised - what do the next twelve months hold for us, and are we holding too much in cash... I've not replied until now as I wanted to have decent answers for both of these questions first. I'm still mulling them over, but it seems rude not to reply, so here's a bit of a half baked one for now :o

Escapar2000, the next 12 months, don't really know yet. The eventual aim is financial independence, and we've a long way to go, so I mainly hope to avoid going off the rails! We're planning on a couple of weeks holiday, but with what will by then be a one year old and four year old in tow we're not talking anything exotic. Almost certainly UK based, and most likely split into two one week breaks, or maybe three five day breaks. We have some small home improvements in mind, and we may reduce our work hours a little further, but nothing has been decided yet. Apologies that it's not very exciting, but I guess mortgage freedom, although very nice indeed, is just a big fat milestone on our journey, far from being the end game.

Are we holding too much cash? Maybe. Of course a good chunk was earmarked for the mortgage, always was. We're now holding about 25k, not 40k. From memory, the annual spending diary (currently a work in progress) suggests we may spend around 16-18k a year now the mortgage is gone (I don't have access to the diary at the moment so can't be more specific than that). So a one year buffer in cash, with about 7-9k left over. That's an amount that could be swallowed up by a car replacement, some home improvements, and an emergency boiler replacement if we were hit by the perfect storm. There's also the fact that I am quietly keeping my eyes open to potential investment opportunities that would benefit from having cash on hand to take advantage. Nothing specific in mind, but knowing that the cash is there if we need to swoop in quickly is reassuring. Finally, OH is very tied to cash, the fact that we are ploughing almost 2k per month into the stock market and she is ok with that is some kind of miracle. OH has always maintained that we should hold an absolute minimum of 10k in cash so she can sleep well at night. Now we have two dependents, boosting that a little seems reasonable.

Having said all that, maybe shifting 10k or so from cash to stocks and shares would be sensible. The perfect storm isn't something that strikes often. The chances of double redundancy while not scaling back our spending and neither of us finding alternative employment for a whole year seems vanishingly small. If an investment opportunity were to present itself, I could cash in some shares if needed and still get involved. Like I say nothing is decided yet, but thanks for raising the question NM, sometimes an outside view helps you challenge what you're doing, and surely weighing up the options and considering alternatives can only be a good thing :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback