PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well I have finally finished the old thread, all 483 pages of it. I now know all the Kondo secrets, I have no excuse to not get on with it and get a bit more flung out of the door instead of reading about other people's successes.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• dragonette
    dragonette Posts: 879 Forumite
    Options
    :T everyone is doing so well!

I've not used freegle very much, it seemed very awkward to me. I tend to offer things up on fb/to friends, then sit it outside with a note if not snapped up. After a few days I call the council for an uplift. This is what will be happening to my old coffee table soon as it is too scratched for any CS to take

A new thing has happened - I seem to need more dish cloths/kitchen hand towels (I air dry my dishes so its never been an issue before). First instinct was to look to see if I could find any I liked to buy, my new plan to check my fabric stash to see if I can make some :) I'm sure that amongst all fabric there will be things I can hem to use to dry my hands!
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Committee meeting yesterday for something I'm involved in, we have a large number of cups (silver not china!)which are given out each year as prizes and returned - inevitably some go missing or get damaged etc.

Someone said that a few of them are real silver and could be valuable and we should get them valued and find out. Fair enough, but what are we going to do if they are valuable? Insurance is likely to be very expensive.

Committee member 'well, we should buy some cheaper replacement cups and put the silver ones in storage somewhere' (nb we have no premises, so 'storage' means someone's garage)

Me: 'what's the point? We should either go on giving them out, or sell them and use the money'

CM: 'well, they have lots of history of previous winners on, so we shouldn't sell them. We should display them each year'

Me: 'We don't have a display cabinet (or anywhere to put one). Why not take a photo of the engravings of previous winners, and then sell them? Or else go on giving them out as prizes and accept the risk'

CM 'but they might be really valuable! We should be preserving them!'

I couldn't make this person see that their only value is as either using them as intended or selling - they are no use to anyone stuck in storage! :wall: Fortunately some others agreed with me.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Morning all.

PWD, sterling silver is only worth a few pence per gramme and the trophies would only have scrap metal value. Most of the value is a silver (or gold) item is in artisanry of the manufacture and, if no one wants it as an object, it will go for melt.

A friend of mine deals in many items inc scrap silver and gold. He is often frustrated that even very attractive silver items will not sell, even if offered at, or even just below, scrap price; no one wants them, even if he has them on display for years. This is true across the trade, so they go for scrap and are sold up in Hatton Garden.

The perceived value of the trophies which are silver, as opposed to plated, is likely to be far less than you might think and, meantime, they are the cause of anxiety and a possible incitement to thieves.

The decluttering writer Don Aslett wrote about trophies and how useless most of them are. He suggested that instead of offering a trophy as a prize, something like vouchers for goods or experiences be given instead.

Several members of my family are rather good bowls players and acquire a lot of trophies. Some of them are great big silver objects which are kept for a year then handed back to the club to be awarded to the next victor.

Many of the trophies, however, are one-deal little plastic jobbies which have no intrinsic worth, no utitlity, and are not even that attractive. When my aunt and uncle moved house a few years ago, a big chunk of the contents of their skip was this kind of trophy for their bowling. What a blinking waste of everybody's time and the earth's precious resources.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2016 at 8:02AM
    Options
    Morning all
    Went to see a really joyful film last night sing street it was set in Dublin in 1985, about a young lad who changed schools and liked a girl so formed a band so she would be in their videos it really was a great story the acting and sound track were spot on. If anyone gets the chance go see it. We had free tix via a thread on here-took ds2 and his friend they also loved it.

Re cups, there's one at our local high school, every year the head makes a big speech about how this cup was discovered in a cupboard, clean up and valued. And then goes on to say the child who wins this cup is so lucky to have it in their house for a year but they MUST inform their insurance company as its worth £1,000s so will need adding to their policy for the year. Every time we went to an award evening it scared us to death that our child would actually recieve it. The smaller ones we did get were more than enough to be responsible for the year. I agree with you Polly if they are ridiculously expensive sell them or carry on using them and let any joy they bring be shared by the winners.

Busy all day today so don't think much kondoing will be done.
    Have a joyful day all
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Luckily most of them are modern cups and not of great value but some are very old. We have had a couple that were damaged and needed repair and they were worth significant amounts - the problem is that we just don't know!

We have more than 200 and they save us a lot of money as winners would otherwise have to be given a medal, which is non-returnable and costs us about £5.

The committee is one of the things I'd like to Kondo. Monday night saw several references to a person I've grown to loathe. This person is responsible for all sorts of annoying and time-consuming jobs that never get done. Trouble is, I've never met this person. They go by the name of 'Somebody'. As in 'Somebody needs to ...' or 'somebody should have ...' :rotfl:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :D I kondo'd a committee about 3 years ago because it had become a major PITA - I'd been dragooned into being chair. One of the best things I've ever stopped doing, felt as if a tonne was lifted off my shoulders once I resigned.

Hey, if we could track down this blasted Somebody and hold them to account for all the things they haven't done.......... :rotfl:

Have decided a couple of things which have had no interest on freegle will stay one more day and be withdrawn and chazzered/ recycled. They are taking up space in my small sitting-room and I'm having to shuffle them around to get to other things, which becomes tedious when you have to do it several times a day.

Have a good day, folks.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 May 2016 at 8:10AM
    Options
    WE've a load of football trophies that DS has collected over the years. None are worth anything - in fact, the cleaner broke 2 of them :mad: and replacing them is difficult as they change the designs every year.....

On the upside, it's one reason why we are Kondoing the cleaner next week. Being non-confrontational I am not looking forward to it, but as
    1. our income has gone down now I've stopped work for the student life, and
    2. because we have to avoid being here when she is, cos she chats instead of working (meaning I can't work, so I might as well clean!) and
    3. now that we have less crud on the surfaces it is easier to clean them

I can't really justify it. It will save us around £1200 a year :T

DS is going to do his bedroom and the hoovering, OH is going to mop the other floors and i will do kitchen and bathrooms and flick round with the duster... Wish me luck

Kondoed a shirt yesterday - i like it but it mugs me off. The buttons keep coming undone and it looks like a bag of rags very quickly. Previously I would have persevered because it is attractive, but it doesn't spark joy - just stress when i wear it. So it's going. We also started watching a film last night (Mr Turner) that was sooooo slow. So we turned it off and i am adding that to the bag :T As i always like to donate at least 5 things, i will have to seek round for three more.

On the downside, it cost me money to Kondo the shirt as it was mugging me off so much that i just had to stop wearing it, so I went in a chazzer and bought a designer 100% cashmere cardi :eek: It cost me £25:eek::eek: - from a chazzer!! the most expensive thing I have ever bought from one. But, even in Tosspots, cashmere is around £60 and this was L K Bennett so I am reckoning it was originally in the £'00s. I am very happy with it, it's luuuuurvely :D
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow - a cashmere cardigan for £25! Fantastic value.

It was getting rid of my cleaner when I became self-employed that led me to Kondoing. I was fed up with moving stuff so I could clean (and I realised with some guilt that I made her job a lot harder by being so untidy!). I don't think my house is as clean as she made it, but I use a lot less bleach than she did and the paint doesn't get chipped as often because I don't drag the vacuum round corners.
  • mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    VJsmum Talking Cleaners I kondoed mine when I came home early and found her and a person I cant stand sitting on my sofa drinking coffee. The said person had knocked to drop something off and the Cleaner had invited them in for coffee:rotfl:I can laugh now but at the time I was fuming. So they were both almost shoved out of the door and neither of them have ever set foot inside my door again ;)

Today I am going to have to do some cleaning as I have been enjoying the weather and doing things that bring me joy for the last week or so.So need to get back on top of it which wont take much to be honest as KM works so well :D

trophies and Cups we have loads of the things down at the Village hall stuck in the shed :rotfl:as when someone wins one they say 'can I keep it here' as its a standing joke if anyone wins one as they are so big and awful :D Out of about 30 trophies and Cups I would say we have at least 25 in boxes in the shed :rotfl:

One lady new to the Village won 5 last year so she was the only person who took theirs so thats the missing 5 accounted for ;)

Reminds me we will need these in July so will need to clean them as I am sure they will all be Black apart from the 5 that are out.

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family