PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    Options
    I am wearing a pair of navy trousers that I know I bought in 2002, so 15 years old this year. I saw a light coloured little spot on my left leg - looked like a bit of fluff. Went to brush it off, but the "spot" is a bit of my thigh showing through! And I blame one of my 9 month old kittens. The boy is always trying to run up my leg!
    I wear these at least once a week, so they must have been washed hundreds of times (usually get a couple of wears per wash.) Done well, haven't they?
    So, out with the navy thread in the very near future. Make do (keep them going) and mend!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    winchelsea I have this image of cats running up your legs now :):):)flashing your bits at your age as well:naughty::naughty::D:rotfl: what ever next ;)

I have been knitting this morning and apart from the edging have finished another charity blanket

YorksLass I started with a 15 minute walk round the block last year and slowly increased it gradually. By June my DD and I did our second Race for Life (in my case more of a walk :) but a 5k hobble with my DGS and the dog helped to raise some cash for cancer research. But its important to take it slowly and notoverdo it .I love swimming and even a gentle splash around will make you feel so much better as the water helps with weight bearing on your joints I have osteoarthritis on my right side so my hip,knee and ankle aren't very good with strenuous exercise, so I do little and if possible daily.

MMMing with my food stocks and pleased that Love Food ,Hate Waste is going so well

Mended a dodgy plug lead on my hairdryer by cutting it off and rewireing the plug ,no bare wires now :):)
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello all, once again haven't posted for ages.

OH and a friend have been doing lots of work in the garden so the grass is now cut, a border cut right round and a hole in the middle. The plan is to put a fruit tree in the middle, debating apple or plum at the moment then we'll plant various veg in the border. There's still a strip of grass up the side of the flat, the plan is to put slabs down on half for a small greenhouse and to put the bins then a small veg patch on the other side. There's also room for various pots of things and possibly a bench/couple of chairs for when the weather is nicer.

I'm trying out dairy free for a month to see if it helps as I haven't been feeling great for the last 3 months. So if anyone has some great gluten and dairy free recipes, please let me know as I'm struggling slightly especially with baking.

Had a lovely stirfry and noodles last night using up various veggies at the bottom of the fridge. I made a very small batch of scones last night to see how they turned out, not amazing but good enough so will make another batch tonight or tomorrow to use up the last of the soya milk.

Hope everyone is ok and looking forward to the weekend. I'm off to a wedding which should be fun :D
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all - not posted for a while as RL got in the way! For those of you suffering from back pain gentle spurts of exercise will be just as beneficial as a big stint. DH's nephew is a high falutin sports phsychologist and reckons the finest form of exercise is walking as it strengthens bones, helps your blood pressure and lung capacity. Two or three 10 minutes is just as good as 20 or 30mins so you can build up slowly HTH
    Misstara - would suggest an apple as you would probably get more usefrom the fruit. There are cookers/eaters that are useful in sweet or savoury dishes. Scones are the one thing I've never mastered! Tried all sorts of recipes - all edible but not lovely big chunky ones.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Golly its a bit nippy today I did a small washload and the wind was blowing a gale so it dried off OK.

Made do with stuff from the freezer for dinner tonight and mended an apron which I had been meaning to do for ages ,only a small repair but every time I wore it I kept thinking I must put a few stitches in this ,and today its another job done and dusted.Minimised some paper work out of the way as well so not a bad day all round MMMing :):)
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've realised that, in my quest to decorate my new home, the only brand new things I have bought are my two sofas and a lamp. Everything else had been brought from my rented flat, given to us by kind relatives or bought second-hand from charity shops. As a result, we have a lovely mix of modern things & vintage pieces.

Doing my bit for recycling & not creating more waste is great. The more second-hand bargains I've found, the more I've been encouraged to fix things rather than replacing them. And older stuff is easier to do that with than cheaper new stuff.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 March 2017 at 8:16AM
    Options
    Not posted for a while.

Minimised some books to the book shop at the hospital. Have more to take but can only take a bag at a time.
    DS1 has taken some of his stuff to his flat so less here.
    Have shredded some paperwork and magazines gone to waiting room at DH work.

Mended a zip on a pair of trousers. Also changed a light bulb.

Made do by watching a film at home and persuading DH not to go to the cinema.
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2017 at 2:23PM
    Options
    I had a productive mending night last night - I managed to successfully alter a tweed coat that I bought a while ago in the CS for £1.

Its a lovely greeny-blue tweed material with a heavy mustard coloured lining and heavy expensive looking buttons - it looks like its hardly been worn...... the brand is Chaus which I have never heard of

The downside to this amazing bargain was that it had exaggerated 90s-style wide & padded shoulders and the sleeves were a bit long.

I had tried swopping the big shoulder pads for smaller ones which improved it a bit but I still didn't like the way that the shoulder line was too wide so I took the plunge last night by turning it inside out, took out the shoulder pads and then carefully measured, pinned and tacked the seam at the top of the sleeve/shoulder edge and machine sewed it a good 2cm deeper and tapered it off down the sides so it sat smooth.

Trimmed the excess material off the re-sewn seam, re-attached the small shoulder pads, turned it right side out and slip stitched the lining back in place and voila! it worked!!! The 90's shoulder line looks 'normal' and the sleeves are 'just right' :)

:):) I shall be checking out the £1 rail more often in future for nice garments that need a bit of TLC :):)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Charlies-aunt, but the '90s fashion is all the rage on this year's catwalks
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Lynplatinum
    Lynplatinum Posts: 939 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all!

Did you wonder where I had gone? Off to Belgium is the answer! Those who know me of old will know that I do this each year with some Beer drinking CAMRA chums. ;) Only for 4 days but the chap who organises it does such a great job and we have such a laugh! So we fitted in: 2 brewery trips; a chocolate factory trip (which had free samples - as much as you wanted and a chocolate fountain going all day!! Heaven!); a day in Ostende; visited 2 very beautiful churches; and a day on the Kustramm (sorry for spelling - not sure how to really spell it!) - which goes all along the Belgian coast and you can stop off where you like. We saw some fab places and found an old town with a pretty little square and a good basic pub and we sat sipping Belgian Beer and nibbling on snacks and watching the world go by - so relaxing! :beer:

I save all year for this as it is my main holiday and this year i came back with 35 Euro - and did not stint myself on beer, food or chocs which I have bought back for my folks!But we looked for the bars and eateries that the locals were using - often just down the side street from the main tourist bars etc.

osbornbiscuit - well done
    Panda - well done for clearing storage unit - that must have been v hard work.
    Yorkslass - go back to docs if this is a recurring problem. Yes, you can get exercises on line but it is soooooo easy to slightly mis-do one and possibly set yourself up for further trouble! Nag nag and nag again to see a physio. they are wonderful, and if you listen to them, put the effort in to do the exercises as they describe, put up with the slight discomfort they cause, you will get better. Despite breaking my leg in 2014, I can now walk 6-8 miles and think nowt of it! NB I am some 3 stone overweight as well - which I will be tackling ASAP (when my son and his lady move out - Long story :( ) My walking abilities come from physios fantastic help but a friend who also broke their leg in a less dramatic form than I did still walks with a stick and limps and is in pain because he gave up the physio and didnt do his exercises! :mad:

So back home to loving but chaos city (AKA home):
    Make do: DS1 + GF have continued with the meal planning and so we are only spending about 30 pound a week for all 4 of us (bear in mind we have no back-stocks of a pantry)! they are buying special offers and having about 5 NSD days a week - the second shopping day is for bread and milk type stuff! Also we found an abandoned set of small drawers by my garages so my son was managing with stacked strong cardboard boxes but he lifted these home (it had been there for 2 days) mended it and cleaned it and they now have a set of small bedside drawers!
    Minimise - it has been a lovely blowy day - both yesterday and today so we got all the washing 'done up' as they say down here! Also when I got back DS1's GF was v unwell with cold - as was the baby! So I went round and minimised the dust and stuff! We really need to get a tip run in this week tho as my son got the job he went for and so dont want his day off to be going to the tip! :)
    Mend:- Since I moved here there have been some strange 'rubbery' marks on the front door and someone had thrown a McD's carton of Cola down towards my bin last nite and it had gone everywhere so I went to wash down the wall as it was sticky and I dont want to encourage ants. Washing didnt get the marks off the door (PVC white) so I got a bit bicarb on a wet rag and with a bit of elbow grease they all came off ! :j So feel v chuffed with myself for that! Tomorrow must mend slippers - the top has come away from the bottom so only some sewing needed!

Jackie O - didnt realise I would get free birthday meal - just thought I would get points off! Brilliant! Ta for letting me know!
    Sorry for long post - been away a week! :rotfl:
    Chao folks - back to usual frugal life style!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure