PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Left handed dressmaking scissors

Options
I currently have my mums heavy duty sewing shears but they are right handed so dig into my thumb as I use them. Its my b'day coming up soon so I've put some left handed shears on my list.
Can anyone recommend a good pair / make to look for? I don't cut a lot of fabric but do some craft projects and would like something that's going to last well.
Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
JAN NSD 11/16

Comments

• FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have some lefty German Wusthoff scissors which are quite spendy but very good quality. I also have an old version of these
    http://www.fiskars.co.uk/products/scissors/softouch-r-spring-action-general-purpose-scissors-26cm-1003873
    Which are both-handed and I like them the best, but I think the spring action may be something some people hate.--I've just seen when you click through they're the same ones as I have and around £16. I'd definitely recommend as a lefty who also cuts righty sometimes!
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi from a fellow lefty . If you have a dunelm near they have a decent range . I have a few dressmaking shears of good quality some Fiskars and some more expensive brands .
    Never cut fabric and card with the same scissors . Even paper can damage them for fabrics .
    I have two identical pairs I'm pretty sure were from Dunelm with soft grip handles and more like sidebent shears . I've colour coded the handles so I don't mix them up and they're really easy to work with . I'll try and remember the brand as the thought of sorting through the craft room is :eek: at the moment .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    You got there before me FPK . Almost identical to the ones I meant which I am now sure are Fiskars '
    polly x

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    That was easier than I thought . They are Fiskars and have black handles and soft grey grips where you hold them for cutting . Very gentle on the hands . I've added some pretty ribbon to one pair and they're for fabric only .
    The catch that holds the blades together between cutting is great .
    I imagine they're pretty widely available .
    polly

• FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They're fab aren't they Polly? Having seen how much they are I may get a second pair for fabric as mine are my 'other' scissors. I still grab them instead of the pricier ones devoted to fabric as I like them so much better!
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    They're such a joy to use . I have some of the very heavy and equally expensive large shears but when I bought the first pair of these it was a real eye opener . I bought the extra pair for cutting patterns , templates and card .
    The children used to drive me nuts years ago making houses for the cats with cut out doors and opening windows . However well my scissors and shears were hidden they managed to unearth them and leave them unfit for fabric cutting .
    These are much kinder on the fingers and arthritic joints .
    polly

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Thanks both for the recommendations, I'll deff have a look at your suggestions - and the reminder about not cutting paper / card with any fabric scissors. Luckily i have no little people who would get their paws on the scissors, and OH is very unlikely to be rummaging in my sewing box.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I ended up ordering these ones which are soft grip - they have a lifetime guarantee and I got a bit nostalgic as they are the same make as the ones my mum has.

https://www.stuff4crafts.com/sewing/scissors-rotary/scissors/serrated-bottom-blade-cushion-soft-dressmaker-shears-8-1860-1.html
    JAN NSD 11/16

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    I ended up ordering these ones which are soft grip - they have a lifetime guarantee and I got a bit nostalgic as they are the same make as the ones my mum has.

https://www.stuff4crafts.com/sewing/scissors-rotary/scissors/serrated-bottom-blade-cushion-soft-dressmaker-shears-8-1860-1.html

See these two short planks? That's me that is .... I can't see that they're lefties!

Ah - add an extra plank for me .... I see it now "left or right"... *sighs*... it sucks to be thick :)
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    PN I think the clue is the ambidextrous word :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I often look quickly at something and fail to spot the detail .
    I'd be interested to hear your feedback Kerri after you've given them a try out as I've never come across Ambi wotsit shears before .
    polly

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport