Options

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    The above may mean that as well as not being able to increase employee NI,
    Employee NI will be increased, I think you meant not being able to increase employee pension contributions to account for the increased employer NI conts.
    the Public Service Schemes will have to take over GMP inflation linking for pre 1988 and greater than 3% post 88?
    Don't really see why, this is a change to the state pension not the occupational pension.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 January 2014 at 6:51PM
    Options
    Employee NI will be increased, I think you meant not being able to increase employee pension contributions to account for the increased employer NI conts.

Sorry, yes. I have edited, see above.
    Don't really see why, this is a change to the state pension not the occupational pension

The point is that the GMP part of an occupational pension in payment increases differently from the rest of the pension.

The employer is not required to pay any inflation increase on pre 88 GMP or anything above 3% on post 88 GMP. This cost is met by the Government ( in situations uncomplicated by fixed rate revaluation in deferment etc).

See here http://www.yourpension.org.uk/Files/Files/6.%20Bexley%20GMPGuide240211.pdf
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 January 2014 at 6:47PM
    Options
    I realise I am late to this thread and would like to advise that I have been in contact with Steve Webb

http://www.theactuary.com/features/2013/06/the-pensions-revolutionary/

“What’s nice – although it’s not good news for actuaries, I’m afraid – is the simplicity of this,” Webb says. To illustrate his point, he recounts a tale from his constituency, Thornbury and Yate, in Bristol.

“I had a constituent come in the other day who’d had this really obscure letter about guaranteed minimum pension (GMP) and his different periods of service. He couldn’t retire early because his GMP for this didn’t add to the GMP for that, and was it a contracted-out this, or was it a contracted-out deduction, or a GMP? I said this is all going, we’re going to get rid of all of this.”

These wise remarks ( showing how well Mr Webb understands the complexity of GMP in pensions), must have been of great assistance to his constituent?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Sorry, yes. I have edited, see above.

The point is that the GMP part of an occupational pension in payment increases differently from the rest of the pension.

The employer is not required to pay any inflation increase on pre 88 GMP or anything above 3% on post 88 GMP. This cost is met by the Government ( in situations uncomplicated by fixed rate revaluation in deferment etc).

See here http://www.yourpension.org.uk/Files/Files/6.%20Bexley%20GMPGuide240211.pdf
    Yes, but if the govt promised not to make any more changes to public sector occupational schemes, then they are breaking that promise if they change the way indexation of GMP works inside those schemes (even if it's just to reflect changes outside the scheme - ie in the state pension).

The GMP revaluation can be swings and roundabouts - what if someone is in a deferred scheme with fixed revaluation at 8.5%? Then they'll carry on getting the 8.5% increases in deferment even though there's no corresponding reduction in the COD from the switchover date.

I can't see why the public sector should have it both ways. Either:
    1. Change the public sector schemes to reflect changes in the state pension, and so increase employee contributions by 3.4% to make up for the loss of the employer's NI rebates, and take on the indexation of GMPs, or
    2. Don't change the schemes at all, as promised, so don't increase the employee conts to make up for the loss of the NI rebate and don't change the way GMPs are increased inside the scheme.
    Maybe the govt should ask the unions which of the above they'd prefer, instead of letting them have it both ways.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've got a huge amount of time for Steve Webb. He seems to approach things as a technocrat rather than a politician. When you listen to his explanations he does seem to have got to grasp with the complications of the old system and shows a lot of common sense in trying to simplify pensions.

Those simplifications being made to the state pension are long overdue and welcome and actually quite brave. It would have been a lot 'safer' to phase the changes in over a number of years, but the more radical switchover has to be a good thing.

My only slight reservation about the changes is the suddenness of the cliff-edge removal of 'derived rights' (the ability to be able to claim off a wife's/husband's/civil partner's contributions). I think that there needs to be some sort of transitional protection for accrued rights there.

But I don't have a lot of sympathy for most of the others criticisms of the changes. Some seem to want to retain the complexities of the old system or introduce new complexities into the new system even before the system is in place

I do hope we see a triumph of the simplifiers over the complexifiers. If we do the Pensions Bill will be a huge success.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • Savvysaver
    Options
    Billopp wrote: »
    Do you all realise that there are special arrangements between HMRC/DWP to advise public service schemes that they are not paying a GMP increase and that they the occupational pension have to take over payment of GMP increases normally paid by DWP.

I am just discovering that this is going to affect me, thanks to The Indie and C Thompson.

One thing going on that does not seem to have been discussed here is the 'Equalisation of GMPs' required for sex equality reasons. I understand that the DWP is expecting to bring our regulations "in the Spring" to require pension schemes to achieve GMP equalisations, but that because of the complexity of this many pension advisers are suggesting turning GMPs into normal scheme benefits (Google 'GMP conversion'). If they become normal benefits in a DB scheme then they would get uprated along with the normal pension according to whatever rules the scheme has.

So there would appear to be hope on this one?
  • Billopp
    Billopp Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

One thing I did not make clear in my post was that this only applies to people reaching state pension age after 5 April 2016 under single-tier pension. I am not effected as I am in receipt of my state pension which also includes a small additional pension as I was contracted out all my working life. When I reached state pension age in 2005 and started with additional state pension of about £5 pw. which is now about £25 pw because of increases on my GMP pension which is much larger than my AP. Both Steve Webb and the DWP have confirmed to me that I won't be effected.

I agree that Steve Webb has a very good understanding off the subject but don't agree with his explanation as to why they can't pay it to people when contracting out ceases. As far as I can see they will still need The AP to work out my increases on GMP after 5 April 2016. All they have to do is record the AP at the date of conversion for existing and future pensioners.

I think the problem is to do with the triple lock on pensions up to say £144 pw and CPI in excess which would make the calculation more complicated.

Another problem they only allow triple lock on state basic pension at the moment and CPI on additional pension/GMP. When single tier starts will they let the difference between increase on Basic pension and say £144 the single-tier pension be allowed to also have a increase at triple-lock for existing pensioners. I think this may cause them terrible problems especially for people who have never been contracted out as someone retiring on say 4 April 2016 will only receive triple lock on basic state pension but a person retiring on 7 April 2016 will be allowed to receive triple lock on Single tier of say £144 which includes state second pension.

What is not good about all this is that he should have mentioned the subject about not paying increases in the green and white papers and risk assessment so that it could be discussed by Parliament and Work and Pensions Committee. As far as I can see it has not been mentioned by the Government in any publication. It is all been done in secret so that people don't know what is going on.

You should all read MOCOP (99) issued by the Treasury on 24 May 2010 which is 50 pages and explains in great detail when the public service scheme has to take over GMP increases. I have just assumed this will also apply to public service schemes when single -tier starts. One of the reasons given by Steve Webb was not increasing the GMP was that peoplple would be able to make it up because of triple lock and future accural which I don't accept if you are a member of a non public service scheme as it looks as if there accrual rate will go down from 60 ths to 70 ths for future service. ie a reduction of I/6 in their pension. How can he think that triple lock can make up for this reduction, 1.4% increase in NI and loss of up to £17,000 to £23,000 on increases depending if you are a man or woman. The more they earn and further they are away from state pension age the bigger the loss will be.

If a person has less than a year to go or is on early retirement and has enough contributions for full pension they wont be able to benefit from earning extra state pension under single tier.
  • Billopp
    Billopp Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Snowman,

I can't understand why you have slight reservation about the sudden removal of derived rights and is a cliff edge removal of the ability to claim of partners contributions. Is not the ability of GMPs to be increased a derived right and cliff edge? The lack of future increase on GMPs is highly unfair to people who contracted out compared to someone who never left SERPS and will receive cost of living increases. It must be against a persons human right who has always been contracted out not to be treated in the same way as someone who never contracted out of SERPS especially as all government documents said that they would be no worse off for contracting out compared to someone who stayed in SERPS.

If the Government can change the law about paying GMP increases then why should they be trusted to pay any increase on single tier pension especially the triple lock. Once they get away with not paying increases on GMPs because they think no one is noticing it they might then also stop paying increases to current pensioners.

I would mention that there will still be some derived rights regarding inheritance of state second pension regarding benefits secured before 6 April 2016.

Another point, according to the Iinstitute of Fiscal Studies who did a excalent report last year about how different people will be effected by introduction of single-tier. They stated only about 35% of people reaching state pension age in the first year would receive the full £144, anyone who has been contracted out all their life will have the pension cut back to roughly the basic state pension . They also went on to say that low earners would be the worst effected, as in future they would receive about £1,200 pa less than they could under the current schemes. By low earners they mentioned about £12,00 pa.

This is definitely a cost cutting exercise no matter what Steve Webb and the Government say.

The only reason the current state second pension and contracting out is complicated is that the government has made it so. There is nothing complex about working out cost of living increases after a pensioner has reached state pension. The problems are caused by the different ways of valuing a GMP before state pension age and how to treat women and men equally due to the Barber judgement about men and women being treated in the same way. That is why the women's retirement age is being equalised with men by 2018.
  • ijustworry
    Options
    I'm new to this. So - can anyone suggest what those affected should do? i.e. those who are in pension schemes where they are contracted out and who will reach state pension age after the Single Tier Pension comes along. This is me!

Also - as far as I can see this also applies to MPs Pension Schemes. They are in a contracted out scheme. There is a briefing paper on parliament web site.Ref is "SN06283/mps-pension-scheme-2012-onwards"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure