Claim a Lasting Power of Attorney Refund

Options
I expect everyone knows this already, but just in case there is someone out there who hasn't heard it might be useful

Claim a power of attorney refund
You can get part of your application fee back if you applied to register a power of attorney from 1 April 2013 to 31 March 2017.

I completed the application form online this morning and it took less than ten minutes. Only one application is needed to claim the refund for both types which made it even quicker.
Love living in a village in the country side

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the person who made the POA has died you have to claim by telephone. I've tried any number of times - and you are cut off automatically after 5 minutes, so it's a frustrating process.
  • Simple_Soul
    Options
    I had not heard about this, & probably never would have (how did you find out about it?). It was indeed quick and easy, and I am now expecting a £110 refund. Thanks so much for posting.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I had not heard about this, & probably never would have (how did you find out about it?). It was indeed quick and easy, and I am now expecting a £110 refund. Thanks so much for posting.

Its been on a few money saving type programs, martin had a segment on the TV about it a few weeks back, and then word of mouth someone who saw that texted me (I missed it) and since then ive passed the favour on and let others know. You might want to consider if any of your friends and relatives might benefit. As you say its a doddle to do.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you can claim on line it is extremely easy & also remarkably quick. They were talking 3 months but I received mine in less than 1 month.
  • Finchx6
    Options
    My father applied in Jan 2013 but it was stamped by Office of Public Guardian on 5th April 2013. Does anyone know if we should receive a refund?
  • bigfer
    bigfer Posts: 319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    our POA was sorted out by a solicitor when the wills were drawn up. can you still apply if this is the case or do you have to have done it yourselves?
    thanks
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Donor or Grantor can apply - the form asks you which you are.
  • diamond_dave
    Options
    We applied for a refund following mse's advice only to be told that we weren't entitled to it as my fil had not paid any fees. Luckily, 2 years after getting the poa I was able to prove via my cc bill that we had paid in full and he was entitled to a refund. Check and don't be put off.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We applied for a refund following mse's advice only to be told that we weren't entitled to it as my fil had not paid any fees. Luckily, 2 years after getting the poa I was able to prove via my cc bill that we had paid in full and he was entitled to a refund. Check and don't be put off.

Funny how often people seem to get that as a reply...I had the same experience, but happily had payment reference and the POA number.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure