Osset, Brighouse or Batley

Options
firevenom
firevenom Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 6 April 2014 at 11:15AM in England
Hi,
Im looking to relocate fromthe east of england over to around Leeds/Wakefield/Hudderfield etc for job chances as there is nothing hardly going or within good commute distance on the east coast.

I have been look at the possibility of maybe Osset (outside of Wakefield) or Brighouse (Outer area of Huddersfield - Rastick)
Was also offer Batley but a few people have advised me that Batley is much better for work than to live in.

I have looked ona few forums and such to try get details about Brighouse and Osset, however you never really get a good picture just 1 person rant on about an area and the rest contest that person directly.

Could anyone who lives in either or maybe if you lived in both give me any kind of idea what each of the places are like for ages group from toddlers upto 40 Years.
So schools also would be great to get details on as we have children in primary secondary and nursery. (1 in each) :)
Also one of the children has recognised disorders so needs extra support in school (Secondary in september) This obviously plays a big part of our decision of location.

Many Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't live in Batley, it's seriously grim, Ossett is a dormitory area for Wakefield and there's very little work in Wakey. Huddersfield suffers when the weather is bad - you can get snowed in. If you need to move to find work look in the Leeds area.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • firevenom
    Options
    I did try belle isle area but never heard back from anyone.

I do drive so would be commuting by car to any of the local towns/cities.

Has to be suthern / West side of Leeds due to a connection in birkenshaw, but dont really want to be to near bradford. Thus why I was think of the areas stated above.
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OMG avoid Batley. but it has 2 good schools - Batley Grammer and and Batley Girls [the latter is despite what a lot of people say - really it is v. good now, good results and good leadership, has 'outstanding' ofsted].
    Birstall [next to Batley] is not that bad, but avoid Fieldhead. Cleckheaton [between Batley and Hudds] is ok, small shopping centre. Not sure what schools are like though.

Brighouse is quite nice in places, but i dont know it that well. You do seem to get better housing there though.

No, you dont want to be near Bradford - its a hellhole.

How about Morley? It has decent transport links. Or Mirfield?

My best advice is to mooch about on StreetView and Right Move too
  • TokyoMaru
    TokyoMaru Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I'm from Huddersfield...Out of the 3 I would be more inclined to live in Osset ...

If you live in Huddersfield there is easy access to both motorways North/South bound and West/East bound, making commuting possible. What I will say is the M62 commute to Leeds can be quite hellish at times. In regards to poor weather the main roads are usually taken care of when snowed over, side roads not so much.

I'd recommend the Colne Valley area
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    Brighouse is excellent for schools, then for secondary schools there are 2 grammars in Halifax. Lived in Brighouse for 9 years and the next town for 12.
  • amybabyx
    amybabyx Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    i moved to Brighouse two months ago for work as i dont drive, and its straight onto the motorway for my partner to drive to work, and i can honestly say i love Brighouse.

its not too big but not too small, and Halifax, Huddersfield, etc are 5-10 mins by car should you need to get to a bigger town.

I live about 3/4 of a mile from the town centre, it takes me 10 minutes to walk to work, but theres a bus stop at the bottom of the road which goes to Elland, Halifax, Brighouse and Bradford. I live far enough away from town but close enough too if that makes sense?

I was warned away from Rastrick as there is a big council estate and a lot of gypsies/travellers and apparently its not a nice area the further away from the town centre you get - i viewed a few houses up there and it wasnt for me.

We now live in a lovely two bed terrace with front and back gardens, in a quiet area, but with breathtaking views across the valley either way. BUT we do live at the top of a huge hill on a provate road/track - be warned, Brighouse is quite hilly in parts lol
    but housing is quite affordable - we pay 430 rent pcm.

with regard to schools, i dont know to much as its just me and my partner, and im 21 but just a recommendation should you choose to come this way - I work at ROKT climbing gym, i dont climb i just do the accounts and admin, but we offer great kids clubs and activities for kids aged 5+ including summer clubs, and we welcome children of all abilities - and thats not me being biased as i have very little interest in climbing haha

i lived in Harrogate and Wetherby until i was 20 then last year moved to near Keighley, about 20 min drive from Bradford centre - i hate bradford with a passion lol avoid it at all costs!

oh and Brighouse has a great community vibe - since i moved here theyve had the massive 1940s weekend, brighouse gala, and various other events taking over the town centre - absolutley brilliant and something that is definitely lacking in many arreas!

i cant recommend Brighouse enough and ive only lived here 2 months!

but i hope you and your family are happy wherever you end up :) amy x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport