washing machine breakdown

Options
Hi I don't know where to post this. We bought a washing machine off of freeman catalogue on 19th June 2014. My wife done a wash today 18 July 2015 and there is a strong rubber burning smell coming from the machine. The catalogue said they only guarantee it fro 1 year. My wife didn't take an extended warranty period as it would cost an extra 80 pounds. Is this correct a washing machine lasts 13 months.

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    13 months isn't very long.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 July 2015 at 11:17AM
    Options
    Sounds like the rubber belt is starting to fail, possibly got caught on something, are you a handy DIY`er at all ?

Its quiet simple to unscrew the back plate and have a look, if the belt needs replacing, that's a simple job too, you can buy all parts online, takes about 10 mins to change a belt.

Whats the make and model of your washer ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • shannianni
    shannianni Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But surely it wouldn't go within a year.
  • shannianni
    Options
    It's a swan sw2060w
  • sourcrates
    edited 18 July 2015 at 11:32AM
    Options
    shannianni wrote: »
    But surely it wouldn't go within a year.

It may of slipped off its runners, it may be catching on some obstruction, it may not be the belt, but it is the most likely cause of a burning rubber smell.

Ok, only one way to find out really, unplug the washer, most important, make sure there's no water in the washer, then turn it over onto its front, put down some towels or a blanket so you don't scratch the front, look for the access panel, usually its on the back, remove the panel, and you should have a view of the drive belt and motor, the back of the washer may need to be removed to get better access, just remove the screws and put somewhere safe.

Remove the back panel, and you should be able to see what's going on, if the belt looks ok, then your problem lies elsewhere.

If that's the case, I would write a letter of complaint to Swan, not the catalogue, as goods are supposed to be "fit for purpose" for a period of 6 years, regardless of what the supplier tells you, tell them you are aware the warranty period has ended, but quote the sale of goods act to them, and you should get some kind of recompense from them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • shannianni
    Options
    But it was spinning fast. It done a wash but smelt whilst doing it
  • sourcrates
    Options
    shannianni wrote: »
    But it was spinning fast. It done a wash but smelt whilst doing it

^^^^^^^^^See my edited post "6" above ^^^^^^^^^

DONT USE IT AGAIN UNTIL YOU HAVE INVESTIGATED THE CAUSE OF THE SMELL !!!!
  • littleDOTS
    littleDOTS Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    This is a real pity,
    warranties are frustrating. If you can afford it call someone out to have a look it may cost £50 to £60 for this. If they think it is something gone wrong caused by a fault in the manufacturing of the machine then I think you can try to pursue getting your money back via the manufacturer plus what you have had to spend. I just had mine fixed and the man told me there is no reason why a machine shouldn't last 10 years even 15.

good luck!
    LBM July 2015 Debt Free 01/05/19
    [STRIKE]2 cards £3800 [/STRIKE] now £0 CC debt free n 30/05/18
    CAR Loan from MUM [STRIKE]£4000[/STRIKE] paid off April 2018
    loan from sister £[STRIKE]2688[/STRIKE] now £0
  • pmd123
    pmd123 Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    We had a similar issue with a hoover washing machine, we called their helpline and we're told that as it was 13 months they would repair it for free as there was a bit of a stigma around electrical equipment breaking as soon as the warranty ended, and that wasn't the case.

We may have just been lucky, or the call handler was having a good day, but they did fix it for free, maybe worth ringing the repair line and be indignant the machine broke within a month of the warranty ending.
  • littleDOTS
    Options
    oh can you believe it my machine is now broken and it would cost two thirds of the price of a new one to get it fixed and so as it's 10 years old I have just had to order a new one (Budget model) on my zero % card adding to my debt!!. Friends and family have been doing my washing and I have discovered that their machines and detergents do a much better job than mine were doing! Hurrah for vanish. The ecover I was using just did not cut the mustard. Clean clothes is a must, what a pain it has been
    LBM July 2015 Debt Free 01/05/19
    [STRIKE]2 cards £3800 [/STRIKE] now £0 CC debt free n 30/05/18
    CAR Loan from MUM [STRIKE]£4000[/STRIKE] paid off April 2018
    loan from sister £[STRIKE]2688[/STRIKE] now £0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business