PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Times newspaper subscription, price hike - advice please

Options
I have subscribed to the Times premium package for many years - paper copy each day and ipad/tablet edition on demand - for £26pm. Have just received a letter advising that they are changing the pricing structure and my package is going up to £8pw - a price rise of 33%. Has anybody been successful at challenging this price rise, and if so what tactics did you use? We enjoy the paper and having tablet access whilst abroad, but if I cant get it cheaper then I fear this is a price rise too far. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Not quite a reply to your query,but I enjoyed reading The Times online for ages.When they introduced a charge/subscription I stopped reading it and weaned myself off it abruptly.
    I don't know of any other paper that you have to pay to read online,and it's not really worth it IMO.
    I still miss The Times though.Living abroad I wouldn't pay the hefty prize to buy the paper either.It's either 7.20 or 7.80 francs,which is a lot,especially if living on a budget.
    You could go ahead and challenge the new price hike.If enough people complain,who knows,they might reconsider.Unlikely,I know...
    HTH.
  • Teddi
    Teddi Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Give it a try, no harm done if they say no but often they have at least a 10-20% wiggle room to retain people. Not going to stop the fact it will go up a bit though.

If that doesn't work, 2 choices, go online only and don't have the physical paper or go with a cheaper paper.
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    Personally, myself I would not pay for it at all. I read the Daily Mail online and I can pick up bits from the Express and the Mirror as well through their online paper. The Telegraph do an online one as well with access for free. While those remain free there is not a hope in hell of me paying!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    No problem of, give them a bell every three months. Oh, and we chose w8rz, and get the ST free each week, and the money off as well. In fact, makes our subscription a virtual nil to us!
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    PlutoinCapricorn Posts: 4,598 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Libraries have free copies, and the archives are online: all very MSE.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport