Revealed. Hidden discounts in supermarkets’ fresh counters – up to 40% off meat, fish

Options
sarah1972
sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been aware of this for a while to be honest, the benefit buying from buying from the meat/fish or deli counter is you can ask for a particular weight of a product eg 125g of cheddar or just 2 slices of ham, it prevents waste if you only buy what you actually need.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I nearly always buy stuff loose rather than wrapped in sweaty cling film/plastic stuff. I dislike plastic wrap in any form at all and would rather buy from the fresh counter than have it wrapped in stuff that will take years to biodegrade in landfill
  • firefox1956
    Options
    Just to add that I would NEVER buy anything from the fresh fish counter in ANY of our local supermarkets.
    Even at 9.00 am the fish stinks & looks old & dry.
    God knows who is foolish enough to buy the stuff...........
    They should do away with them to be honest.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add that I would NEVER buy anything from the fresh fish counter in ANY of our local supermarkets.
    Even at 9.00 am the fish stinks & looks old & dry.
    God knows who is foolish enough to buy the stuff...........
    They should do away with them to be honest.

You've just reminded me of a cinema I used work at which was situated above a supermarket. One of the exits was nicknamed 'The Smelly Exit' :eek: as it was near the fish storage and counter area.:rotfl:

I agree with you I would NEVER buy from a fresh fish counter for just the same reasons you say plus half the staff have no clue about the product they are selling at these counters.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    moved to the Gone Off board as MSE have started an official thread on this subject/article and it would be better if people posted their comments and suggestions on that one. The official MSE thread is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5719037
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure