Giants causeway

Options
snowmen
snowmen Posts: 637 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Going to the giants causeway next weekend.
There will be 5 of us and just seen the charge of 8.50 pet person if you park at the causeway.
Just wondered - if we became members of the national trust would we then be able to park for free? Would the visitor centre also be free then too?

Comments

• Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Options
    the visitor centre is free for National trust members. Parking used to be free too but I'm not sure about now. I had a look online but it's not clear about free parking for National Trust Members.

You can actually bypass the visitor centre and go down to the causeway and back for free by taking a route to the side of the visitor centre.

Their site mentions cheaper alternative parking -

http://giantscausewaytickets.com/admission-prices
  • D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Correct - NT members get free parking and free access to the Visitors' Centre.

As Sambella has said though, there are cheaper places to park and the Centre can be avoided completely.
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For visitors who do not wish to avail of the facilities on-site, alternative parking is available during peak season at the Railway car park adjacent to the Causeway (£6 per day), from which visitors can walk to the stones for free.

I didnt know this myself. I thought all had to pay now to go to the causeway. Will have to visit again now
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's a lovely short walk (3 miles) from Portbalintrae along the coast front that leads to the causeway, parking at the start at beach road is free
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Access to the actual Causeway is and always has been free, The National Trust like to give the impression you have to pay but in reality this is to enter the visitor centre and park in their car park only.
    Park in Bushmills and take the shuttlebus or walk as previously suggested.
  • D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or take the train from Bushmills when it's running.
  • snowmen
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Might park at the Causeway Hotel, get a cuppa and then walk down from there - failing that the station car park option for £6.
    Remember the good old days when you just parked for free and walked down ...
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We just took friends up to visit, warning them to go to the toilet first. Visiting the stones is free, walk into the visitor centre and you are charged

You can buy cheap NT passes by buying from other countries. Perfectly legal, I used to buy from New Zealand
  • WaywardDriver
    Options
    Zola. wrote: »
    There's a lovely short walk (3 miles) from Portbalintrae along the coast front that leads to the causeway, parking at the start at beach road is free
    Second this - 30-40 minutes walk - also toilets in car park.
  • snowmen
    Options
    Second this - 30-40 minutes walk - also toilets in car park.

Would love to try this - and would do if a had a car full of adults.
    Unfortunately I will have a 4 and 7 year-old too so the walk might be too far for them.
    Will try when I don't have the kids with me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure