PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making cut roses last longer

Options
Any tips for getting those lovely bunches of roses in bud to last longer? I was given some recently and most of them failed to break open into full flower and just died in bud. I tried cutting and splitting the stems but it had little effect. I wonder if it's partly connected with room temperature. .

Comments

• littlepinkbiscuits
    Options
    I put all cut flowers into lukewarm water with half a teaspoon of sugar dissolved in, I've had flowers last for almost a month that way. You do need to change the water about once a week though.

Cut at least an inch off the stems and plunge them into the water quickly, this seems to help as well.

Yes, could be down to drastic temperature differences at this time of year.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When you're cutting the stems you do it at an angle, that gices more room for the slower to 'suck up' water. And put some lime juice in the water.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I put a teaspoon of sugar and a dash of bleach in mine, works a treat. I got some YS roses for 50p in Tesco a few weeks ago, they lasted 10 days using sugar & bleach and cutting as Sam suggests.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    As above, sugar in the water and cut the stems.

Secondly - don't put them on a window sill at night - its too cold
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Options
    Here's what I do:

Disinfect the vase, any bacteria will rot your flowers.

Cut then with the sharpest knife possible, do not use scissors you just crush the xylem tubes and prevent the flower taking up water.

Dip in boiling water until no air bubbles are coming up.

Straight into cold water.

Give them flower feed (commercial flower feeds in bottles are good value).

Finally I spray with a preserver spray, cost about £5 when I did my wedding bouquet and still have same bottle.

Every couple of days change the water then check for and dispose of any rotting foliage.

I can keep yellow stickered flowers (roses, lilies etc) for a good couple of weeks or more with this method.

Xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport