Leg cramp sufferers?

Options
As a runner I constantly feel Charlie horse night cramps in my calf. Also painful knots and cramps during or post running. I know it’s a weakness associated with my hips but also it could be magnesium deficiency. All things I have addressed now. But I also heard tonic water assists leg cramps with the quinine ingredient, any one agree?

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I can't say that I agree.
    In my experience 99% of cramp during exercise is mental. ie your body forcing you to stop.
    If you ever notice with cramp, when you first start running you seem to get cramp a lot, but then you train and your body gets used to the exercise the cramp stops coming.
    If you then go and do something you haven't trained for, bosh instant cramp.
    So the simple cure is to train more and your cramp will go away.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No I disagree, I think with running and cramps the triggers maybe - upping the mileage too quickly, fatigue, weak synergist muscles or motor neuron dysfunction causing a delayed muscle contraction system. Personally as a running coach and Pt i am aware I have deconditioned calf!!!8217;s and I suffer with lengthened weak hips. I had a car accident and ever since the frequency of my leg cramps is peaked. I am assisting the weakness and minerals, but wanted to try tonic water too, for trial. Wondered opinions on this and if any notable difference is had
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Leg soap.

Try slipping an ordinary bar of soap in between your sheet and the mattress.

At the cost of a bar of soap its worth a try.
  • Adly812
    Options
    Never heard of that.
    I!!!8217;ll research it, as it!!!8217;s a strange one. But yup worth a try
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stretch after training.
  • Adly812
    Options
    I!!!8217;m a yoga teacher lol. Always stretch. I need to sort these cramps though, as somethings causing them being to often
  • louloubelle79
    Options
    Are you talking about general cramps or restless leg syndrome? I suffer from RLS and iron tablets are meant to help and copper bracelets although is hereditary
  • phoneguy
    phoneguy Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    My wife suffered terribly with leg cramps at night. She's completely cured it thanks to some info we got visiting a Walgreens pharmacy in the USA. They suggested trying taking a potassium supplement. 500mg.

It worked amazingly for her - and we stocked up on them. But of course, try them at your own risk.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to run and exercise a lot (to the point of "obsession" and not in a healthy way) I used to get cramps and on my own research managed to remedy this with watching my sodium (electrolytes, water and nutrition) balance. I can't say if that rule would work for everyone but it worked for me.

I have cut back on the exercise since owing to health issues partly caused by my over-exercising and can't help wondering if my body was trying to tell me something...I do still get cramping now though, even without all the running involved so maybe it has a genetic or natural biological side to it? I still find if I look at my diet I stand the best chance at resolving it and stopping it happening again.

Rule of thumb is water- make sure are not taking on too much or are also replacing natural body salts and not just water.

Make sure you are not taking on too much water and if you feel the need to drink more, look at ensuring you are also replacing your bodies electrolytes. You can do this by taking on a rehydration type drink or supplement, but beware to keep an eye on the balance because electrolytes affect your heart and it's dangerous for things to be out of balance either way.

When I was running or even whilst doing cardio in the gym when I was up to full speed and sweating the general rule of thumb was to replace 1 hour with 500mls of water with every other drink being an electrolyte based drink. (Or you could just weigh yourself pre/post workout but this relies on all the sweat having dried off you and on waiting to replace at the end of a work out rather than sipping as you go along).

To make your own electrolye drink, make up a bottle of orange juice (can't be apple or any other fresh fruit btw) and mix it 50/50 with water. Add a pinch of salt and mix well; it should tie you over. Others will use flat full sugar coke as an electrolyte based drink or chocolate milkshake but imo there's needless sugar in milkshakes or full sugar coke, flat or otherwise.
  • Adly812
    Options
    I have electrolyte sachets that I use regularly. And they certainly do help. It seems to be my calf!!!8217;s that gain knots despite the fact I stretch a lot.. then during the night or when I point my toes they cramp and the knot works it way up my leg and forms Dom!!!8217;s for like a week. I!!!8217;ve heard it known as Charlie!!!8217;s horse syndrome in runners. I!!!8217;ve tried to increase my magnesium intake but maybe a potassium supplement would be worth it. I also like the copper bracelet idea which I!!!8217;ll look into. It happens a lot when I increase mileage, but lately it!!!8217;s been too much ! Think it!!!8217;s a sign I!!!8217;m lacking a nutrient
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure