Real-life MMD: How much should my friend pay me?

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 7 January 2014 at 11:44AM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: I used a voucher to pay for something we'll share. How much should my friend pay towards it?

My friend and I have just moved into an unfurnished house. We've been buying furniture and splitting the costs. I recently used a voucher I won in a competition to part-pay for something. My friend insists she should only contribute half of the actual money I paid for it (after the voucher was deducted). Is this fair?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

If you have a real-life money MORAL dilemma, email [EMAIL="MMD@moneysavingexpert.com"]MMD@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• double_mummy
    double_mummy Posts: 3,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    if she got a choice in the item she pays 50% if not she pays 50% of the cost minus the voucher
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
  • I would actually buy everything individually anyway... You aren't living together for ever so how will you split everything when you eventually move out?

I wouldn't have told her I paid using a voucher and asked for half. But as she knows you should probably split the cost you paid.
    Became Mrs Scotland 16.01.16 :heart:Became homeowners 26.02.16 :heart:Baby girl arrived 27.10.16 :heart:Baby boy arrived 16.09.2018
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've never shared the cost of furniture with flat mates. What would you do if / when you want to live separately in the future? So my answer would be, the friend pays nothing, you pay and it's yours. She could maybe pay for another item.
  • lvm
    lvm Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NO WAY!! You could have used that voucher to buy something just for yourself. Ask your friend why she thinks she's entitled to some of the voucher YOU won.

Maybe she thinks it was some sort of 50% off voucher instead.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No it's not fair.

But I would take her up on the offer to pay half of the hard cash you parted with for it. And (but most likely 'or') I would keep the item for myself, as it represents your prize, since it was bought with what you won.
    This sounds like it was a big item and considerable outlay.

I wonder if she'll expect the same arrangement when you use a voucher for a meal out? Say a £40 meal out, you contribute a £20 voucher and she thinks her bit is £10. Time to talk through some ground rules.
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    She's cheeky! I'd say I didn't want to share the cost of it at all and she can save her money to contribute 50% towards something else instead. Like a really expensive sofa.

I see arguments about utilities and food bills on your horizon if she's being like this already...
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 January 2014 at 10:57PM
    Your voucher, your money. Knock it on the head - she's trouble, kick her out.
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd have discussed it beforehand.
  • itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    If you could have used the voucher to buy something else for yourself she should pay the usual 50% of the item. If you couldn't have made use of it otherwise she should only pay half the money.

Either way it raises other issues. There was a lack of communication for this to have become a problem. Who will get which items when you move on? Arguing about money isn't a good start - make sure everything is very clear, and agreed, from now on.
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • Leeward
    Leeward Posts: 9 Forumite
    If you had won a cash prize, would she still expect the same 'discount' on your good fortune? If so, could you apply the same principle if she won the lottery so she pays for everything until her winnings are used?
    A 50/50 agreement is a 50/50 agreement, whether either of you pay cash, credit, voucher or shirt buttons!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure