Debt collector hassle

I've just been contacted by debt collectors about an account my exgirlfriend had 6 years ago. My name was added to her account when things were ok but then I filled in forms to remove my name immediately when we split. The bank now says they never received my removal request and that I am still liable for the amount even though since we separated she ran up an overdraft of £1300.

I am thinking of contacting the bank to request statements to prove the account was in the black when I left and also that I never actually used the card I was given with the account hence showing all withdrawals were made by her. Is this worth doing and if so how would I contact the Halifax??

Secondly what information should I give to the debt collectors? They've obviously found my address from my ex but what am I legally bound to give them?? I hear lots of horror stories ???

Many thanks.

Comments

• Hi,

If the debt is over 6 years old (even by one day) then it should be statute barred. A debt becomes statute barred when no written acknowledgement or payment has been made to it in a 6 year period (5 in scotland). You could contact the Halifax to see how you get on, but you could also send the prove it letter, to see if they can prove you owe the debt. Try the Halifax first though and see how you get on. The prove it letter can be sent later if necessary.

Good luck

Red
    If you've nothing decent to say, perhaps you shouldn't say anything.

£2 savings jar £300:D
    Total credit card debts £1250:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: - Will I ever learn!!
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    is it statute barred if ex continued to use it? is it closed now
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    You would be better paying for a credit check and coming back with the results.
    On information.. None until they can prove you owe the money.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • The account was apparently used by her until 2 years ago.

Any chance you could explain what a prove it letter is please?
    They have sent me a copy of the form to add my name to the account!!!!

I believe the account has been closed as her overdraft debt has been sent onto a debt collector.

This person has shafted me completely over the last 6 years ( see my other post as to how) I am still paying off her credit card debt And car loan and she even still has the car.
    I don't want this to be added to what I'm already paying for so any help would be appreciated.
  • If I send the prove it letter what documents would they have to provide me with?

I know that account was in the black when my name was removed so owe nothing to them?
  • tallyhoh
    If I send the prove it letter what documents would they have to provide me with?

I know that account was in the black when my name was removed so owe nothing to them?

When was your name removed? your first post indicates that the bank claim they did not recieve your request.
  • I put in the removal request in April 2006 .
    I've never had anything to say it was never received.
    I spoke to the debt collector and told them that my name had been removed from the account, they said they would contact the bank and get Back to me. I received their letter on Friday which says they believe I am as well as my exgirlfriend accountable. They haven't provided any evidence to show why just a copy of the initial document with my name being added to her account??????
  • tallyhoh
    If it was a joint account & your name has not been removed then you would still be accountable (I regret),. If the account was used until 2 years ago then the statute barred of 6 years will not apply.
  • I agree with Tallyhoh - frankly if you never received confirmation your name was removed then you're stuck unfortunately. Also the debt collectors will go after whoever is easiest to contact/ whoever they feel they have the better chance of getting the money out of :(
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • Thanks for your replys.

I understand they will go for whoever is easiest but as I'm still paying off her other debts I am not in a position to pay out anymore that is why I need to prove to them I didn't run up this debt.

The debt collectors must have her details because when I offered them they declined. Just wonder why theyre chasing me???

Even though we split amicably I believe she's doing this out of spite???
    I just don't understand why?????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport