Apprenticeship quit

Options
We're in the process of trying to close down our case with CMS as partners child started a paid apprenticeship in August. But CMS are unable to get in contact with the ex to confirm the details of the apprenticeship.
My question is, what would happen if his child quit the apprenticeship and decided to go to college, would we have to start paying again?
And how long will they keep trying to contact the ex before they close the case, surely they can't keep it open indefinitely?

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As long as CB is claimed then the case still runs..
  • Lovyan
    Lovyan Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    CMS have already confirmed that they have come off the child benefit list, but still won't close the claim.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lovyan wrote: »
    CMS have already confirmed that they have come off the child benefit list, but still won't close the claim.

How are you making the contributions? via CMS or directly?
    Just this week a 'friend' was bleating that as her daughter had started uni, she is now £90 per week down from the ex and will more than likely have to give up her house and move into a bedsit .
  • Lovyan
    Options
    We're paying directly. Which makes me worry as CMS won't tell us that we can stop payments, but will they retrieve the overpayments once they finally close the case??
    No doubt his ex will be bleating too, but we're really struggling as he's having to support me, our toddler and another on the way.
  • Lovyan
    Options
    Arghhh! And now they've sent us a standing order form. Does anyone there know what they're doing??
  • daddydodo
    Options
    Lovyan wrote: »
    We're paying directly. Which makes me worry as CMS won't tell us that we can stop payments, but will they retrieve the overpayments once they finally close the case??

Nope, be prepared to write off these payments and consider it to be a 'gift' to his ex. Why don't you just stop? If she is not receiving CB then you have no obligation for the CMS payments.
  • Lovyan
    Options
    We couldn't this month as apparently it's paid in arrears. Apprenticeship was started mid August so we're owed half the month back, which isn't an insignificant amount. But next month I think we'll hold it back. It is just a case of them closing the case. Just very very frustrating. We have some house maintenance that could really do with being done before the weather changes, but we can't spend the money until this is resolved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure