'What's legal tender?' discussion

Options

Comments

• UKPatriot
    Options
    This is one of the things that is wrong with the United Kingdom . . . it's not united!:mad:
    Why do we not have a United Kingdom Bank Note, valid all over the United Kindom and for that matter, Gibraltar, St Helena, Ascension Island, Falkland Islands? The French did it.
    Why are Banks outside England and Wales allowed to issue their own Bank Notes?
  • iomkeith
    Options
    We have our own money on the Isle of Man but as we are not part of the UK it isn't 'valid' in the UK. I have been told that UK banks must accept Isle of Man notes and exchange them 'one for one', although I don't know if this is true or not, and I've never tried it. Over here, the cash point machines at the ferry port and airport both dispense English notes, although I have once turned up at the ferry with no money and found that machine out of order! Had to go in to Morecambe looking for a cash point when I got off!

Our coins fit car park machines, I have been known to pay for parking in Manx coins... small victory for the Manx! Having read the facts on the newsletter, I'm probably committing an offence!:eek:
  • technik_2
    technik_2 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure why people are like this. In the place I work here in Northern Ireland you could open the till and easily see notes from the 4 NI banks (Ulster, First Trust, Northern and Bank of Ireland), english notes and notes from Scotland too. No one is picky about it here.

As for coins...I regularly see Isle of Man and Channel Island ones. I even saw a 10p from Gilbratar. Perfectly fine.
  • technik_2
    technik_2 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    milbomilbo wrote: »
    I work in a shop and I have to say sometimes I refuse NI and Scottish notes - I can't often tell if they are forgeries or not because I very rarely see them. For the same reason I refuse £50 notes.

On a different point we get lots and lots of coins from Guernsey in the shop for some reason (maybe there is a specific ship which regularly docks from there) is this legal tender? Guernsey isn't in the UK. Similarly we seem to get quite a few coins from the IOM or Gibraltar or even the Falkland Islands.

Use your counterfeit checking pen. You'll soon know if they're a forgery.
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For a start off no shop is obliged to take your money - they can and do have the right to insist you pay in £5 english notes if they so desired, what's the phrase? Invitation to treat. In practice they're not going to do that if they wish to keep trading, but they can insist on refusing your cash, you have no divine right to use Scottish notes or Irish notes.

I've seen damn good £20 forgeries, I know the key things to check for, but I'd have a devil of a job spotting a Bank of Scotland fake. Add into the mix all the different mixes of notes - some of the NI ones look like euros, and it's no wonder a cashier will refuse or call a manager over if unsure. Policy at our place is to call supervisor over with a pen if we get a £50...no problem for most but inevitably you get the wiseguy with his 'You don't get this down South'...usually manage to bite my lip with the 'Arr we be oop North we do' retort.
  • signalman60
    Options
    As I understand it, any legal notes (i.e. not forged ) issued by a U.K bank are equally valid when offered in settlement for the purchase of goods and services. The vendor cannot pick and choose.
    The purchaser has completed his part of the contract by offering to pay in a U.K currency. If the vendor refuses to accept the payment the purchaser is within his rights to take the goods (or leave say a restaurant in which he has just had a meal) without paying .
    If the vendor calls the police to report a theft, he will find that they will confirm that the purchaser is within his rights
  • tp306
    tp306 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    The problem we have with accepting Scottish notes as a hotel with a busy bar is that customers often refuse to accept them back as change. Whilst we could insist it does cause difficulties and arguments and as we only go to the bank once per week due to our location it can cause problems.

Of course it's a vicious circle because if more business's accepted them then customers would be more likely to take them as change.
  • mbam_2
    mbam_2 Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    I work in retail and we accept any notes that say Sterling.

So you dont take Bank of England notes? They dont have the word Sterling on them! Scottish and NI notes do!
  • leathersofa
    leathersofa Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Just in case it's useful to anyone - there are 2 cash machines I know of in Edinburgh that *only* issue *new* Bank of England notes, which is handy when I need to send birthday money to nieces/nephews in England and when I'm going down there. They are outside Boots in the shopping park at Craigleith, and the HSBC machine at, of all places, Morrisons on Ferry Road. I know old notes are just the same as new ones, but it somehow feels better to send new ones as presents, and if you go into a bank and ask for English notes they rarely have new ones.
  • Wasteofspace
    Wasteofspace Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    You forgot to mention five pound coins, which like the £1 and £2 are legal tender for any amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure