Employment Tribunal - unfair dismissal - student surveys

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Euclid wrote: »
    (unfortunately when teaching I inadvertently type my password in the username field so it was visible to more than 200 students).
    PLEASE tell me you then changed your password at the next possible opportunity?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Euclid_2
    Euclid_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I did immediately I got to the office (only from there I can change the passwd) but soon I repeated the same mistake. When I have only 5 min to start the PC and upload the presentation I am in a great hurry and often do this mistake.
  • JustToClarify
    Options
    1. An employer does not need to follow their own disciplinary procedures - as long as there was 'an investigation' and 'a disciplinary hearing' and 'an appeal hearing' they will tick all the required boxes to satisfy a tribunal.

2. An employer does not need to investigate the issue for which you were dismissed - as long as 'an investigation' of some form was carried out, that will be enough to tick the 'investigation box' and satisfy the tribunal

3. An employer does not need reasonable grounds for a belief - they only need to state they 'believe' something and the judge will take that as fact without any supporting evidence from them, even if you have evidence to the contrary.

As someone who has been through the employment tribunal farce I can tell you that how things should be done on paper is not how they are done for real.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So if it was accepted that it was a software issue, didn't the same problem happened with other teachers/survey? That's the part I don't understand. Surely, they have checked this and the problem only affected you? If so, why would that be.

Also, to be fair, even if you can defend this, it sounds like they could use you failure to secure your personal detail/access to your PC as another gross misconduct as I'm sure there must be a policy to that regards, so if the whole matter is about getting rid of you, there would have something else to use anyway.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Really OP, you have had a great deal of very good advice here, but you aren't listening to it. I seriously don't know if you can win a tribunal, but unless you listen to what you are being told, I can tell you that you will lose one!

You are pinning a great deal of reliance on two matters - the fact that you are good at what you do, and an entirely convoluted alternative scenario that will simply make the tribunal question your veracity even more.

On the first one, you may be the best in your field. You may have personal references from world famous people. And former students. Not one of those things means that you are telling the truth or that you are not a cheat. Being good or well connected does not mean that you are above reproach. Plenty of "good" and well connected people have been caught out before now. Your argument on these grounds is less than relevant - it is not going to help you at all, and frankly, the employer did the right thing in disregarding it - it wasn't of any import.

On the second, as you have already been told, the tribunal do not hear your side of the story, then the employees, and decide which one they like better. They listen to the employers side of the story, and decide whether that is enough to form a reasonable belief. So the employers story is easy. It depends on only two things. A series of student evaluations were falsified, and the IP address from which they were falsified belonged to you. That's it. That's all they needed. There is no way on earth that they are going to going to find that an unreasonable basis for believing you did it. You see, the test isn't whether it was true or not. You could now find absolute evidence - a signed confession by the perpetrator would be nice - and you will STILL lose the tribunal, because the employer heard a case and had a reasonable belief at the time of the decision. There have been more than one claim lost in that way - subsequent evidence that some one want guilty does not supersede the employers decision at the time.

But consider your story. An anonymous person happens to have identified your password details somehow. They have then been able to exploit some kind of back door in the software being used. Then they have identified your IP address and somehow "pinged" it just to know when to falsify these results. And your unknown and very skilled enemy then gave you GOOD evaluations??? How likely does that sound? If you inserted a Martian invasion somewhere in the middle of that it could not sound less credible. If they had been lousy evaluations the story would have still seemed far fetched, but at least there would be a kind of internal sense to it. That's the sort of thing you might expect of an aggrieved student or colleague. But not for some faceless enemy to give you good outcomes. Again, the thing is not whether it is true or not. The point is, can anyone reasonably be expected to believe this? Sorry, but the answer is no. And if toy unfold this alternative scenario to a tribunal, that is exactly what they will think too. You are making your version less crucible, not more credible. And any evidence that you find now to support that version was not available to the employer, so their reasonable belief and fair dismissal stay in place. The tribunal can't base a judgement on new evidence that the employer didn't have.

So that only leaves you procedural matters - was the prices carried out directly. They employer want required to tell you that you were under investigation before they are ready to. So the fact that your are being investigated for a month and a half without being told is irrelevant. The alleged bias of the investigating officer is not evidenced in any way. The fact upon which the investigation depends is evidenced. It is true. Evaluations were falsified, and from an IP address associated with you. There is no room for bias or opinion in that. It is either true or not, and even you accept it is true. So the investigation appears to have been impartial. Whether the person likes you or not doesn't matter, and your allegation that they don't like you doesn't mean that it is true either. It is for you to evidence your defence, with your union. Not for them to go investigating what appear to be fabulous versions of events. So they present the outcome of their investigation, you provide a defence, and a disciplinary panel decide.

So is there any part of the process that wasn't conducted properly, because I'm not seeing it? And to be clear, this is not about whether I believe you or not - it simply is what it is. If you can't find a better case than what you have, you are throwing good money away. And more of your reputation. At this stage, yes, you will have to provide a convincing argument for why someone should employ you after this dismissal. But that can be done. And you have some powerful references you say. Great. They will help. Will LOSING a court case help? No, it won't. You will have a court of law deciding that your employer was correct. And your former employer telling people that. Academia is a very small world. News gets around.

So you need to sit down and seriously, and objectively, think through your position and how far you can take this before it becomes even more damaging to you. Or you need a better case, because the one you have here isn't good. People are trying to tell you that. But you aren't hearing it.
  • Euclid_2
    edited 19 March 2017 at 12:58PM
    Options
    To FBaby:
    I wanted that all the surveys be checked but they refuse doing as "too much work".
    Failure to secure my psswd cannot count as gross misconduct.
    There is nothing else they can think of against me - as I said, I had spotless record; student love me, I have long and outstanding career.

And it is not "if accepted" - IT IS a software problem - I created a trial survey and it results in the same flawed results.
  • Euclid_2
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Really OP, you have had a great deal of very good advice here, but you aren't listening to it. I seriously don't know if you can win a tribunal, but unless you listen to what you are being told, I can tell you that you will lose one!

You are pinning a great deal of reliance on two matters - the fact that you are good at what you do, and an entirely convoluted alternative scenario that will simply make the tribunal question your veracity even more.

On the first one, you may be the best in your field. You may have personal references from world famous people. And former students. Not one of those things means that you are telling the truth or that you are not a cheat. Being good or well connected does not mean that you are above reproach. Plenty of "good" and well connected people have been caught out before now. Your argument on these grounds is less than relevant - it is not going to help you at all, and frankly, the employer did the right thing in disregarding it - it wasn't of any import.

On the second, as you have already been told, the tribunal do not hear your side of the story, then the employees, and decide which one they like better. They listen to the employers side of the story, and decide whether that is enough to form a reasonable belief. So the employers story is easy. It depends on only two things. A series of student evaluations were falsified, and the IP address from which they were falsified belonged to you. That's it. That's all they needed. There is no way on earth that they are going to going to find that an unreasonable basis for believing you did it. You see, the test isn't whether it was true or not. You could now find absolute evidence - a signed confession by the perpetrator would be nice - and you will STILL lose the tribunal, because the employer heard a case and had a reasonable belief at the time of the decision. There have been more than one claim lost in that way - subsequent evidence that some one want guilty does not supersede the employers decision at the time.

But consider your story. An anonymous person happens to have identified your password details somehow. They have then been able to exploit some kind of back door in the software being used. Then they have identified your IP address and somehow "pinged" it just to know when to falsify these results. And your unknown and very skilled enemy then gave you GOOD evaluations??? How likely does that sound? If you inserted a Martian invasion somewhere in the middle of that it could not sound less credible. If they had been lousy evaluations the story would have still seemed far fetched, but at least there would be a kind of internal sense to it. That's the sort of thing you might expect of an aggrieved student or colleague. But not for some faceless enemy to give you good outcomes. Again, the thing is not whether it is true or not. The point is, can anyone reasonably be expected to believe this? Sorry, but the answer is no. And if toy unfold this alternative scenario to a tribunal, that is exactly what they will think too. You are making your version less crucible, not more credible. And any evidence that you find now to support that version was not available to the employer, so their reasonable belief and fair dismissal stay in place. The tribunal can't base a judgement on new evidence that the employer didn't have.

So that only leaves you procedural matters - was the prices carried out directly. They employer want required to tell you that you were under investigation before they are ready to. So the fact that your are being investigated for a month and a half without being told is irrelevant. The alleged bias of the investigating officer is not evidenced in any way. The fact upon which the investigation depends is evidenced. It is true. Evaluations were falsified, and from an IP address associated with you. There is no room for bias or opinion in that. It is either true or not, and even you accept it is true. So the investigation appears to have been impartial. Whether the person likes you or not doesn't matter, and your allegation that they don't like you doesn't mean that it is true either. It is for you to evidence your defence, with your union. Not for them to go investigating what appear to be fabulous versions of events. So they present the outcome of their investigation, you provide a defence, and a disciplinary panel decide.

So is there any part of the process that wasn't conducted properly, because I'm not seeing it? And to be clear, this is not about whether I believe you or not - it simply is what it is. If you can't find a better case than what you have, you are throwing good money away. And more of your reputation. At this stage, yes, you will have to provide a convincing argument for why someone should employ you after this dismissal. But that can be done. And you have some powerful references you say. Great. They will help. Will LOSING a court case help? No, it won't. You will have a court of law deciding that your employer was correct. And your former employer telling people that. Academia is a very small world. News gets around.

So you need to sit down and seriously, and objectively, think through your position and how far you can take this before it becomes even more damaging to you. Or you need a better case, because the one you have here isn't good. People are trying to tell you that. But you aren't hearing it.
    Ok - in short - what you say is my only argument could be: "you will have to provide a convincing argument for why someone should employ you after this dismissal".
    Do you have any other suggestions?
  • FBaby
    Options
    Are you sure of that? Universities holds intellectual property. I am amazed that giving a total stranger access to the whole system wouldn't be seen as gross misconduct. You might never had read the policy, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

As always, very detailed response from sangie who knows it all better than any of us.
  • FBaby
    Options
    A perfect example just randomly googled University of Brighton's data protection policy:
    https://staff.brighton.ac.uk/reg/acs/docs/2016-17_Student_Contract_Data-Protection-Policy.pdf

Page 14, point 2.2 storage of information:
    password should be kept secret and secure – change them regularly

I expect this is the same for all unis, with something on your contract to say that you are expected to adhere to all employer's policies, so this alone could indeed have been deemed gross misconduct if it meant that someone could access personal data. Surely you've been trained to that regard?
  • Casey1709
    Casey1709 Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    Euclid wrote: »

.....:

For an IT lecturer that's a pretty poor standard of work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure