PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mothers day old style..........

Options
With Mothers Day just around the corner...any ideas for old style presents for my dear mum who is 89 years old..

Just wanted something different other then flowers and chocolates etc...

TIA

Comments

• Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My Mum is 90 ....I found a copy of the meal served at her Christening (it was tucked in with some photos we were looking at)...I am secretly planning to cook that for her on Mother's Day (Well a simplified version...it was 5 courses)

For Christmas Mum was given a digital photo frame...and I copied some of her old photos onto a photo SIM card for so she can have her favourite memories on there. (Sort of a modern version of old-style!)

How about making her afternoon tea?...tea in a 'proper' tea pot...scones...and maybe seed cake?

If you go on Amazon/e-bay/trawl charity shops you could maybe find a copy of a childrens' book your Mum used to enjoy? (A few years ago I got a charming copy of Milly Molly Mandy for Mum from Barnados...with the original illustrations - 20p!!!)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Take her out for a drive followed by a cream tea somewhere in the country preferably a home made picnic with nice sandwiches, sausage rolls, little cakes and scones with jam and cream all washed down with lashings of tea from a flask. I'll bet she'd love it. If not in the country then in a local park or if you are close enough to the coast. Getting out of the house with a treat meal and folks you love is something out of the ordinary.
  • skintmumof3
    skintmumof3 Posts: 803 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely wonderful ideas you have.....thankyou.....
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Definitely opt for an experience that will create fond memories rather than buying stuff (unless its a consumable treat).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Take her out for a drive followed by a cream tea somewhere in the country preferably a home made picnic with nice sandwiches, sausage rolls, little cakes and scones with jam and cream all washed down with lashings of tea from a flask. I'll bet she'd love it. If not in the country then in a local park or if you are close enough to the coast. Getting out of the house with a treat meal and folks you love is something out of the ordinary.
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Definitely opt for an experience that will create fond memories rather than buying stuff (unless its a consumable treat).

I agree - there is no substitute for just giving time and company.

We still love to go on picnics (or picker-nicks as Yogi Bear would say :p).

You could buy a picnic chair for your mum (one of those that folds up into a pack) and then, when she looks all confused, tell her you're going out for a mystery tour.

There are loads of National Trust sites where you can just walk or sit in the grounds for free. We use a fishing umbrella (bigger and has sides to keep off the wind) if it's raining and it's really lovely to watch the rain in lovely surroundings.

Over the years we've acquired a little camping stove (for unlimited hot water for tea), cool boxes on wheels, folding tables and chairs etc, large umbrellas that can clip to chair arms etc. It's really good fun - we even sit in the rain and play scrabble or play cards.

Love a good picker-nick :D.
    :hello:
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 March 2017 at 9:58PM
    Options
    Picnics and a high tea would have pleased my mum, alas not with us anymore. However she did love window shopping and treating herself, so a trip around a department store cosmetic department trying out all the product samples would have pleased her.

On that vein she would have thought a manicure or pedicure especially would be a massive treat. In her day this would have been a luxury activity, not for the likes of her! Now you can get those done quite cheaply on the high street.

I suppose it depends on your mum.

This is a lovely thread, I'm enjoying thinking of what it would be like in 2017 treating my lovely mum who is so missed.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Time is the most precious gift.
    You don't have to be alone to be lonely.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    I'm enjoying it too, I think afternoon tea has become so popular because it is a luxury, and for us oldies recalls 'proper Sunday tea'.

Can I add though, that my children know the one thing that makes me really happy is when they remember that I am old enough to want it to be called Mothering Sunday - the middle Sunday in Lent.
    In my world, Mothers' Day is American and celebrated on the second Sunday in May.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    katkin wrote: »
    Picnics and a high tea would have pleased my mum
    I often think its a shame that Mother's Day doesn't have a summer date, for this reason.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure