Investing Equity

Options
Hi All, This september my wife is hopefully able to take a course ( Hons Degree ) which will enable her to earn a lot more money than she can with her current qualifications,the course is 70 miles away from where we live,so we are hoping to sell our house,invest the money,and rent for a while (6-12 months) until we find the right house in that area to buy,i'd also be much closer to my own work.Can anyone tell me could the equity from our house (250 k) be invested in solely my wifes name to avoid paying 40% tax (i am a higher rate taxpayer).Any helpful points of view would be much apprciated Thanks Mike

Comments

• bridiej
    bridiej Posts: 5,775 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've moved this in here as I think it's more relevant and you should get more replies :)

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • Paul_Varjak
    Options
    As I understand it, husbands and wives are taxed separately these days. This means they each get their own tax allowance. So, if you are happy making a 'gift' to your wife of the house (or you half share of it) then go ahead.

If you have any other investments in your own name (or joint names) you may wish to pass them to your wife as well.

But don't forget to make use of your own ISA allowance (as well of your wife's) when investing the 250k.

Please note: This is my understanding of tax legislation as a layman.
  • Jettycat
    Options
    That's right - if you give your share of the equity to your wife and then she invests it it will be taxed in her name. Just remember that you have given her the money - it is legally hers!
  • mjc_3
    Options
    HI All, Thanks for the advice, i guess it raises a further question - how much do i trust my wife? :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure