New bank account when on dmp

Options
I have just applied for a new current account in my sole name with Natwest. This has been approved even though I am currently in a dmp. I opened the account as my current bank has shut all my local branches.

I have however now just realised that Natwest is linked to RBS and my partner owes money on a mint card which is included in our dmp. The current account is in my sole name therefore does this mean that they can not take any of the remaining debt out of my account. Will I be ok to go ahead and use it?

Our dmp has less then 12 months remaining.

Comments

• cmcavon
    cmcavon Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't use an account linked in any way to any of your creditors. It's not worth the risk in my opinion.
    Making £1,000 plus every month from home :T
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

You may as well of picked a random strangers name and asked the same question, debt does not transfer between people, exception being a joint debt, if the debt is solely in your partners name, then they cant, and wont, ever take what's owed from any account that's solely in your name, so don't panic.

The right of set off, as its called, means the bank has certain rules it must follow before money can be taken from a debtors account, the last time I looked I believe the min amount it can leave you with is 5k, so they cant just help themselves.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Willis0000
    Willis0000 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks sourcrates that has helped put my mind at rest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure