Life insurance at retirement point

Options
I am married and a few months from retirement at 65. It seems prudent to have life insurance for each other. Previous policies have now expired. Does anyone have advice?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Presumably you planned your pension provision(s) so that the survivor would have an adequate income? If you still feel the need for life insurance surely that suggests that you haven't put enough in your pension?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems prudent to have life insurance for each other.

Why?
    Most people cease to need life assurance after retirement. What if you financial situation that means you have a financial need?
    Does anyone have advice?

Advice is a regulated activity. The board is not regulated to give advice. Just discussion and comment. However, even if advice could be given, you havent told us anything about your situation that suggests a life assurance need. So, for us to "discuss" it further, we need more info.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I am married and a few months from retirement at 65. It seems prudent to have life insurance for each other. Previous policies have now expired. Does anyone have advice?

Only one that involves a time machine and taking out a longer term policy many years ago.
    Life insurance now would be very expensive.
    Why do you think you need it?
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Consider why you need life insurance. Typically you would not need life insurance because your normal planing would have to include provision for sufficient income for the survivor after first death.

Life insurance could be needed if you've gone and done things like blowing your money on an annuity instead of a combination of drawdown and state pension deferral.

Life insurance could also be needed if something else means that one of the two has income linked to them being alive and the other would suffer financially after their death.

Term life insurance can be very cheap at around state pension age for those in normal good health.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not necessary if you have paid off your mortgage and have sufficient pension income?
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The insurance board on this forum might be a better place for this question as there may be other considerations than just pensions. I've heard some people get life insurance for a few years to cover the cost of inheritance tax should they die before a gift becomes exempt. So there may be reasons many of us wouldn't even think of.

However generally people have life assurance policies that terminate at or near retirement as the financial need is gone. If you or your partner should pass what income are you losing that you need? If they were going to stop earning soon, the children are grown, the mortgage paid off, and the pension is inheritable (or 50% if a DB pension), then what is needed? If something is then get life assurance.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • duckandweave
    Options
    For "advice" read "thoughts".
    I have paid mortgage and comfortable pension in place. My thought were more of a "what if" in the event of my wife being left in receipt of 50% pension or unforseen need for funds (Medical etc).
    I am in good health. Maybe a simple term cover would provide a warm fuzzy feeling if not overly expensive.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 October 2016 at 7:46PM
    Options
    Well, the first aspect of a potential 50% pension is avoiding her getting into that situation by not taking options that would give her only a 50% pension.

If it's a final salary pension that's not avoidable for the final salary part but you may be able to use other savings and investments or downsizing or equity release to provide a higher income for her in other ways.

If it's an annuity that would pay a 50% spousal pension an option might be income drawdown that would give her a 100% pension instead of 50%. And probably at a higher level than the annuity unless your health is poor.

Another option might be deferring her state pension for perhaps ten years if her health is good. That would produce a substantial increase, 58% if she reached state pension age after 6 April 2016 or 104% if before. Increases per year of deferral are either 5.8% or 10.4%. The 10.4% one is mostly inheritable by you if she was to die first, the 5.8% one isn't inheritable. Well, ignoring the case of dying while still deferring.

We don't really know enough about the overall circumstances of the two of you so while you're right to wonder about protecting her it's hard to comment usefully on how best to do it.
  • duckandweave
    Options
    Government pensions so no flexibility. Wife not entitled to uk pension as never worked in uk and dual nationality.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Government pensions so no flexibility. Wife not entitled to uk pension as never worked in uk and dual nationality.

So there's possibly a financial need. Perhaps talk to an IFA.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport