PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning chrome

Options
What's the best thing to use for cleaning chrome handles, switches, taps etc..?

Thanks

nelly

Comments

• nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Microfibre cloth, just plain water really wring it out and it does a great job. I clean my whole kitchen without using any cleaning products now. Moneysaving or what?

However these cloths can be very expensive, I have seen them in the supermarket for over £3. B & Q and Dixons sell them as steel cleaning cloths at a crazy price too.

I got some for 79p at Dunelm on Saturday.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    chrome is easy peasy

spray with vinegar ;D and polish off with a dry cloth

or use your windowcleaner if you have some

or ammonia

or nail varnish remover (exellent)

leftover tea that has been sitting in the pot for a while and this will also cut through grease as well !!

while your at the sink, if its porcelane soft cloth sprinkled with salt is great to bring it up to a brilliant shine

mum told me about that last week I tried it on the bathroom sink and we have to wear sunglasses when we go in now ;)
  • Greenstuff_2
    Greenstuff_2 Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Cathy, et all,

Am having a nightmare with water marks.
    Moved house a month ago and the water here must be hard as I have limescale everwhere.
    I don't want to use chemicals, but the shower screen and draining board look awful.
    I have used environmentally friendly cleaner on the draining board and it looks ok, but still has water marks and looks dull.
    Same with the shower, I have scrubbed it but it still looks dull, I have tried vinegar but didnt have white so used malt, it didnt work but stinks!
    If I get white vinegar (I guess you are going to suggest that!) how do I use it?
    Do I put it in a spray bottle neat, and spray it on?
    Then what do I do? Rinse? or just polish off?
    Thanks for the help,

A very dull Greenstuff.
    Waddle you do eh?
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi greenstuff
    As this is going to be an ongoing problem it might be worth considering a water softener. This would have the added advantage of protecting all your pipes and appliances from limescale and its resulting damage and increased running costs. there are many different types and websites. eg
    http://www.waterimp.co.uk/

I have no connection with this company or any other, just trying to add a new perspective.
    hope this helps
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    or you can

mix about half a mug of white vinegar with baking powder and as its fizzing pour onto the draining board

let it soak for a while then clean off just rinse with water

or you can use washing soda and borax together in very hot water pour over the draining board and leave

when your washing your dishes, disolve some washing soda in the water then a bit of washing up liquid ( you wont need nearly so much) and you will soften the water and wont get the marks again

for taps pour vinegar and lemon juice in a bag about an egg cup full of the mix
    put the bag over the tap so the bottom of the tap is sitting in the mix elastic band to keep the bag on

hour later

no limescale round the taps any more

for shower limescale and tiles
    spray on a mix of washing soda and vinegar

to keep it from happening again

polish the tiles with car wax YES car wax the water runs off them that way

once a fortnight pour 2 pnts of water with 3 tablespoons of washing soda crystals disolved in it down the shower drain and sink

clean the shower door with vinegar keep a squeejie in the shower to do the door as you get out then you only have to actually clean the door occasionally

limescale gets in the slidy door bits as well so once you get that off treat the tracks with vaseline
  • Greenstuff_2
    Options
    Hey Carly,

Thanks for that, it is indeed a new perspective, didnt think of that, I shall indeed look into it, thank you.

Cathy, thanks for all that info, I have my shopping list and am looking forward to trying your tips, I didn't think I'd ever say I would look forward to housework!

Greenstuff :-*
    Waddle you do eh?
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Options
    once you ahve cleaned your chrome put some baby oil on a cloth and wipe over. it stops it streaking.

Saw this tip on Antheas Turners perfect housewife last week

WD40 also stops it smearing but oil smells better
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always used to use baby oil to clean my chrome/stainless steel. That is until I discovered microfibre cloths (As previously mentioned), I use a damp one then buff it up with a dry one. Comes up like new, with very little elbow grease!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure