PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Needing Inspiration!!!

Options
Hi People

As per usual i am in need of some much loved OS guidance. Im trying tmy hardest to meal plan - we somehow have had a huge blow out this month and i have this in my storecupboard to keep us until the 26th

I can make basics liek shepherds pie and do a roast dinner and anythign on toast is second nature but im stumped for what else to make and need help becuase i seem to be feeding my family the same boring stuff week in and week out when i meal plan.

I literally have about £11 in my pocket too so if there are any suggestions for some lunch box stuff for other half that would be good too!

Ok here goes

cupboards
Rice Snaps - rice krispies type things
Porridge Oats 1kg
Value Cornflakes (full bag)
Ready Brek - half a box
Jelly Sachet x 2 (value)
Angel Delight sachet (value)
Cake Mix (was given ages ago must check date)
Plain Flour (half a bag)
Self Raising flour - 2 and a half bags
Chocolate for cooking
Raspberry Jam
Lemon Curd
Pasta - 500g
Rice - 2kg
Bisto gravy granules
Chicken Stock Cubes
Vegetable Savoury Rice (value)
Ketchup
Baking Powder
Bicarb of Soda
Pepper
Cake Sprinkles
2 x milkshake powder
Custard Powder
Ready To Eat Value custard
2 Rice Pudding
3 x Value Baked Beans
2 x Value Spaghetti
2 x Value Sweetcorn
4 Bramley Apples
Potatoes
half a loaf

Freezer
Green Beans - full bag
Garden Peas - full bag
Mixed Veg - brocolli, carrot and sprouts
4 x homemade veg soup (onion,swede,carrot,chicken stock cubes)
Fish fingers
400g mince
1 whole frozen chicken (with giblets)
4 turkey burgers
Sausages (about 20)
Smilies (about 4 :S )

Fridge
8 eggs
swede
6 onions
carrots
baking potatoes
mushrooms
milk
baking lard

Ok people so any ideas??????????? I know that looks plenty but that has to feed me and my 3 year old for breakfast and lunch and me, my son and bf for dinner, plus i need to try and do my bf packed lunches for work too and we have about 2 and a half weeks till pay day for both of us. (ps the dogs ok i brought a huge 10kg bag of gusto when we last went shopping and he seems to like it and has nearly the whole bag left still)

I dont mind spending some of the money i have in my purse on things to help but obviously cant afford to pay a fortune incase our gas/electric runs out.
Making Changes To Save My Life
April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far

Comments

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the, well i think the secret here is going to be three square meals a day.. the idea being that if you are eating properly, then you wont want/need to snack in between meals.

breakfast - bowl of cereal, slice of toast, piece of fruit, a small yoghurt, and a drink - water/milk/juice/tea/coffee. as money is tight, it will probably have to be a case of value bread, or go late at night to get the yellow stickered better stuff. if you spot a bargain, buy extra and freeze. own brand muffins/crumpets are normally around 20p a pack, and will make a nice change.

dinners - for your OH sandwiches will be easiest and cheapest. its sounds like you've let him get away with a lot of convenience food of late because of the nature of his work. well you cant afford it at the mo, so he'll have to eat sarnies or go hungry. freeze a bottle of water to act as an ice pack to keep it cool and fresh, and he can drink it as it thaws.

for you and ben - jacket potatoes, things on toast, sarnies.. something to fill the hole.

right then, main meals...

your veggie soup - serve with bread to make it go further. can you buy some cheap, plain noodles to add (to bulk it out and make it more filling? or perhaps some lentils?) failing that, add some pasta broken down into smaller pieces.

sauce to go with pasta... tin of tomatoes, or a jar of passata (sieved tomatoes, so the sauce is runnier. i prefer these, as they go further). chopped onion and garlic. what you add from there depends on what you have in.. tuna, chopped bacon, chopped tinned hotdogs is popular in our house (dont all shoot me at once fellow OSers :D ), veggies if you can get them with your healthy start vouchers. serve with pasta and a little bit of grated cheese.

the chicken... if you serve it in meals where the amount of chicken used isnt so obvious, it should go much further. think stir fry, chicken crumble (like chicken pie but with a crumble topping), curry, pasta bake.. all the types of meals where stringy or small bits of chicken are less likely to cause offence to those who think a meat portion should cover a quarter of the plate :rolleyes: ;)

plain flour - can be used to make a batter. this can be used for pancakes - sweet or savoury, or toad in the hole

mince - if you go to town on bulking it out (lentils, loads of veg, lots of sauce etc) you may just about get away with using two 200g portions instead of one 400g portion (and hence get more meals out of it. not ideal, but you're skint and need to eat). this can be used to make chilli con carne, spag bog, cottage pie etc

will post this then go have another look at your list...
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Rice Snaps - rice krispies type things
    if you have a lot of these (ie more than you will need to see you through breakfasts for the next fortnight) then you could use the cooking chocolate to make rice krispy cakes

Jelly Sachet x 2 (value)
    Angel Delight sachet (value)
    Cake Mix (was given ages ago must check date)
    Self Raising flour - 2 and a half bags

a pudding after tea will help fill those tums! especially anything spongey

Fish fingers

i'd serve these with mash to make a more filling meal. perhaps use some of the beans as well?

8 eggs
    can make a very filling meal. omlette with left overs from the fridge chucked in, or a frittatta perhaps? whilst not the most ethically sound, value eggs are dirt cheap and are fab for lunches. can also be used as a sandwich filling, or on toast

milk

dont know how much of the stuff you are getting through. is ben stull drinking full fat? if he is, you may find it cheaper to only buy full fat. give the normal stuff to ben, and then dilute it down with a bit of water, and use as normal semi skimmed milk for you and OH. or failing that UHT (long life) is cheap, and does the job
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • poodlehorse
    poodlehorse Posts: 675 Forumite
    Options
    You've got swede, carrots and onions and stock cubes so buy some lentils and you have yourself cheap lentil soup, filling and nutritious (could OH take some in a flask to work?), I use lentils for a lot and make a lentil bolognese type thing which you can have with pasta or baked potato or add some kidney beans and chilli and you have a veggie chilli, add some curry powder and you have dahl type thing.

With the Bramleys you could make a crumble and you have loads of custard too.

As someone has said try and stretch that chicken as far as it will go. You could do a variation of a meal I make which puts leftover chicken on a bed of brocolli and some sweated onions and cover with a sauce, you could just make a white sauce and mustard or soemthing to flavour it, I usually crunch up a bag of crisps as a topping and then grate cheese and bake until bubbly. Yum

Toad in the hole with some of your sausages

Cake mix - make it up and have with custard or make into a wee trifle with the custard and maybe buy a value tin of fruit cocktail in there as well.

I guess if you have a lot of one thing eg sausages then you might want to do toad in the hole twice for example - it is only two weeks so it shouldn't be too bad having the same thing again.

You've quite a lot of cereal there so what about cereal for lunch sometime for your son? My DS thinks it is great having weetabix for tea on occasion, it seems to amuse him he is having it at the "wrong" time of day but it is fortified and he is getting loads of milk with it so it is a healthy enough option.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport