Selling nappy cakes at children's market?

Options
I am trying to make a bit of extra money on the side and have just had a bit of a brain wave. Do you think it would be worth renting a stall at a local baby and children's indoor market? (£11.59 for 6ft table)
Not too sure how much it would cost to make a nappy cake however done a few times before in the past and wondering if it would be a popular item to sell?

Has anyone seen this before or have any opinions on this? :T
House Deposit: £5,015.37:j
Make £2018 in 2018 - £1399.45/£2018
Save 7k in 2018 #25
Emergency Fund - £0/£1000 = 90%

Comments

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    "Nappy Cake" conjures up all sorts of horrible images :(
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "Nappy Cake" conjures up all sorts of horrible images :(

Bet they taste like sh...
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The most important thing for any business is the bottom line.
  • mickey54
    mickey54 Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    Do a search on Nappy Cakes in the forum, there used to be a few people who did this and posted their results.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My thoughts

- i'd say parents tend to go to baby and child markets. Not usually the people who buy nappy cakes.
    - My sister made me quite an extravagant one (my child). Whilst it was nice etc, we didnt use the brand that was bought. We did go through some but ended up finding a parent to give them to who used that brand.
    - should be able to add a decent mark up although i would imagine you would have to use the more well known brands. Whilst aldi nappies are good, it might not have the same appeal as maybe huggies. Particularly if its friends and family buying not parents.
    -Its probably more labour intensive than cost. Therfore you shouldnt really lose out financially (providing you can sell for the cost and little to no wastage) if youve got plenty of free time, there shouldnt be much to lose.
    - I think facebook would yield the more consistent business and cover a wider range of potential customers. A mid 20's party goer isnt going to attend a baby market but might still want a nappy cake for their friend whose pregnant.
    - £11.59 suggests a strange pricing policy.
    - Probably find someone else selling them. Ie make yours the better, prettiest, cheaper different in some way.
    - Maybe diversify with a few different types of baby baskets. Maybe a disney princess basket, peppa pig baskets etc. Just a few themed products in with more generic stuff.

Id say go for it. If you make a good product at a reasonable price you shouldnt have issues selling them. It might not be as profitable as taking a second job or pay minimum wage but if its just lost time and you enjoy it, its got to be worth a bit of effort to see?
  • BritOnABudget
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    My thoughts

- i'd say parents tend to go to baby and child markets. Not usually the people who buy nappy cakes.
    - My sister made me quite an extravagant one (my child). Whilst it was nice etc, we didnt use the brand that was bought. We did go through some but ended up finding a parent to give them to who used that brand.
    - should be able to add a decent mark up although i would imagine you would have to use the more well known brands. Whilst aldi nappies are good, it might not have the same appeal as maybe huggies. Particularly if its friends and family buying not parents.
    -Its probably more labour intensive than cost. Therfore you shouldnt really lose out financially (providing you can sell for the cost and little to no wastage) if youve got plenty of free time, there shouldnt be much to lose.
    - I think facebook would yield the more consistent business and cover a wider range of potential customers. A mid 20's party goer isnt going to attend a baby market but might still want a nappy cake for their friend whose pregnant.
    - £11.59 suggests a strange pricing policy.
    - Probably find someone else selling them. Ie make yours the better, prettiest, cheaper different in some way.
    - Maybe diversify with a few different types of baby baskets. Maybe a disney princess basket, peppa pig baskets etc. Just a few themed products in with more generic stuff.

Id say go for it. If you make a good product at a reasonable price you shouldnt have issues selling them. It might not be as profitable as taking a second job or pay minimum wage but if its just lost time and you enjoy it, its got to be worth a bit of effort to see?

Wow that is a fab reply, definitely going to go with your advice and price competitively probably using facebook. Thank you very much! :money:
    House Deposit: £5,015.37:j
    Make £2018 in 2018 - £1399.45/£2018
    Save 7k in 2018 #25
    Emergency Fund - £0/£1000 = 90%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business