MoneySaving Poll: Have you been to university?

Options
Poll started 23 August 2016

Have you been to university?

It's exam results season and with it comes the inevitable decision of where to go with your life. University is a common next step for those who take A-levels, but you don't need a degree to 'make it'.

So we wanted to know what decision you made/plan to make...

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    I would have rather seen a simple Yes or No choice, no need for age brackets or any of the various options, typical of university relatic topics needing to feel complicated to justify themselves.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What would the single question be? How would it be more useful than the options presented?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • alixandrea
    alixandrea Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    None of these! I'm 35 and would *love* to go back to university but can't afford to (because of living costs)...

Alixandrea
  • smala01
    smala01 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    I would have rather seen a simple Yes or No choice, no need for age brackets or any of the various options, typical of university relatic topics needing to feel complicated to justify themselves.

I do think age is relevant, because 15 years ago there was a great push to get 50% of young people into university, with many more places opening up. Im not sure this such a good thing.

University for me was an escape path from a northern inner city upbringing into a quality career. Education is a great enabler of social mobility and I strongly believe in it for SOME individuals.

What I have noticed (now as a graduate recruiter for a large blue chip) is that we see many more less able students who drift into university, accrue huge debts and come out with low/average degrees in "odd" topics. Their expectations were mis-managed to the extent they believe that any graduate will gain employment in a well paid graduate scheme. But honestly they are not that good, and would struggle in a top company (and be very unhappy)

In my opinion these people would be much better served a in a vocational training. I would expect to see the results and opinions of this poll very skewed to those who were of university age in last 15 years.
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    Now one option that is very relevant would be "have you been to university but dropped out" as I did this - I went but only for 6 months as I couldn't stand the subject I went to study and felt it a complete waste of time, so I left.
    My eldest son went and dropped out when he failed his exams in year 2, so he's left with a big debt and absolutely nothing to show for it.
    Why not include these options MSE?
  • Mandelbrot
    Mandelbrot Posts: 9,139 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options

Are you not misinterpreting the purpose of these 'polls'?
    Are they not a data-gathering exercise, in order to satisfy business interests?
  • G6JPG
    G6JPG Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    (OK, histogram).

Agreed with the other points made too - but, really, it's more than time these so-called "polls" had one graph at the end that agglomerated all the subdivided ones.:(
  • Knowmanythings
    Options
    Yes, I am in 60+ age band and yes have been to University. But in mid-thirties, when children were young and flexibility (only 9 contact hours a week) and student loan plus part-time work enabled me to. I worked before then in University admin and promotion limited to a level above which graduates only appointed. I was working class background and, like many in University admin, thought 'Are these students bright or what?' Fact is, there is a lot of research that shows social class 'powerfully reasserts after graduation' i.e. the best jobs go to those more fortunately born, and degree is used merely to legitimise these 'unfair' employment appointments. I did okay out of my degree - professional job as a teacher - and of course both my children are graduates. Uni provides brilliant networking opps, my two have friends across the UK and around the globe. For most students, Uni can be just a finishing school, with academic differentiation now being by Masters rather than undergraduate. My University admin experience, pre my own Uni studies showed a cycle, year on year, that you have to be pretty dire not to graduate at all. So of course 'being a graduate' will not get you a job; being of the right social class is the only guarantee. Twas always thus!
  • Purplejellybaby
    Options
    I would have liked to have been able to select more than one option - they're not all mutually exclusive!
    I went to university (20+ years ago) to study for my bachelor's degree and I'm now back at university studying for my masters. :D
    Short potato, tall potato, light or dark.
    We're all potatoes at heart :j

(Small Potatoes 2013)

• Wizard_of_Id
    Options
    Mandelbrot wrote: »
    Are you not misinterpreting the purpose of these 'polls'?
    Are they not a data-gathering exercise, in order to satisfy business interests?

I had not looked at it that way but now that you mention it, yes, MSE have been very guilty of that recently.
    Before I joined and was just a lurker, I did notice a number of members that would appear and ask a series of questions to start a thread and then never return to respond to any of the answers.

Was one member not banned for accusing them of data mining?
    A strange thing to happen if thay were not connected to MSE in some way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure