Leaving the Country with debt

Options
Due to a family emergency I have to live the country for an unknown period (probably a couple of years or more). However I have debts here in the UK which are being dealt by CCCS, a phone contract and a car lease contract. I am spending all of the money that I have on my ticket home so cannot afford to repay any of the debts or contracts. My original plan was to go bank-corrupt but that would cost over £700 and I don't have that money. So I need advice on what I could do as I would like to be able to come back to the UK at some point.
Also paying the debt from the other country would be impossible due to the currency difference and low income of the country. (Ie I would have to spend a whole months wage to pay £150 a month towards my debt - which is what I am paying now) :(

Comments

• CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi destino, thank you for your query regarding leaving the country with debt
    Firstly it is not clear from your post where you are moving to or how much you owe so I cannot advise you fully on your options bt I would suggest that you speak to CCCS who can help you negotiate temporary minimum payments based on what you can afford or discuss the possibility of a Debt Relief Order which is a form of insolvency for those owing under £15,000. Creditors cannot usually collect debts outside the EU but that can be dependant on the country but if you come back to the UK you will still owe the money and if they have taken any action in the County Court that will be still be active if it is within 6 years.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • destino
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I owe just under 15K and am moving to Brazil. I don't think they can come after me there but I would really like to be able to come back. If it wasn't for the family emergency I would not even leave the country.
    How do I go about getting a debt relief order? I did some research and apparently I need to be recommended by someone but I don't think I have enough time in the UK to go after that :S
    Thanks
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Give CCCS a call - they should be able to help you.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    destino wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I owe just under 15K and am moving to Brazil. I don't think they can come after me there ...
    That's what Ronnie Biggs thought ... until he decided he wanted some free medical attention :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure