Part time hobby/skill suggestions!

Options
Hello, so I am not entirely sure if I’ve posted in the correct forum, but I was just after some ideas, advice, or stories of what you’ve done.

My background is that I’m a part time midwife (24 hrs) and have 2 kids, 2 and 7, (2 yo with me all the time bar 24 hours 😏)

I love to decorate and ideally one day would like to do up a property but I currently don’t have the money for that (you will also find me in debt free wannabe thread!) but, I am looking for inspiration on a new hobby/skill I could focus on in my spare time that could maybe lead to making some extra income if I get good at it. I don’t want a second job, my job pays well and I can pick up shifts when I can but wanted to look into something to do on my evenings when the girls are in bed.

Any ideas? I’m not that good at sewing but I have got a sewing machine. I was thinking about getting a die cutter machine, could make some lovely hair bows and cards. Anyone got one of these? Do you use it much? Or should I just focus my spare time comping and hope for some wins.

Any thoughts welcome :)

Comments

• Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Anniee88 wrote: »
    Hello, so I am not entirely sure if I’ve posted in the correct forum, but I was just after some ideas, advice, or stories of what you’ve done.

My background is that I’m a part time midwife (24 hrs) and have 2 kids, 2 and 7, (2 yo with me all the time bar 24 hours 😏)

I love to decorate and ideally one day would like to do up a property but I currently don’t have the money for that (you will also find me in debt free wannabe thread!) but, I am looking for inspiration on a new hobby/skill I could focus on in my spare time that could maybe lead to making some extra income if I get good at it. I don’t want a second job, my job pays well and I can pick up shifts when I can but wanted to look into something to do on my evenings when the girls are in bed.

Any ideas? I’m not that good at sewing but I have got a sewing machine. I was thinking about getting a die cutter machine, could make some lovely hair bows and cards. Anyone got one of these? Do you use it much? Or should I just focus my spare time comping and hope for some wins.

Any thoughts welcome :)

If you already have a sewing machine then the most economically sensible thing would be to learn how to use it, or practise to get better. Die cutters are OK, but upwards of £60 and then you have to buy dies for each project. Plus, homemade cards are no novelty anymore and people don't really want to pay to buy them. Most crafts are the same to be honest, unless you have a real talent for something in a niche. And I mean, like you can paint REALLY well or make something totally unique.

If you learn to sew, there's the potential you could make small items to sell eventually- but with the same caveat as above. However, you could save yourself a small fortune by making clothes, curtains and other needed items for your own family. It will also allow you to alter things you may buy cheaply.

If you want a small regular extra income, then settle down and read Martin's guide and follow all the advice on this forum religiously. You'll be able to make a few hundred monthly.

If you want to do up property, then find a partner with money. Lots of people develop properties together - just watch Homes under the Hammer. The rich person and his builder, husbands and wives, friends, family and so on. Or consider doing some courses in that direction, that would give you the skills you need - your local college or even B&Q will hold some - drilling, painting, plastering etc.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• pennypincher2013
    Options
    Many years ago, I ran my own business making crafty items. Did ok until the market got flooded. If an idea came to me, I would give it another go only as pocket money. Saying that I have seen some folks doing ok on ebay and etsy.
    Do you have materials ready to start using your sewing machine?
    No harm in entering comps as well :)
  • MissPop
    MissPop Posts: 948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you like decorating, what about refurbing furniture? You can pick up old items like side tables, wooden dining chairs, upholstered chairs, that sort of thing, from charity shops, Freecycle, car boots etc for a note or two (or even free!)

With a tin of paint, a bit of fabric and an evening's work you can easily give them a new lease of life and sell them on :)

Make £2020 in 2020 - £263.78/£2020

2020 totals
    Swagbucks - £100 | Prolific Academic - £44.54 | Qmee - £10 | PopulusLive - £50

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,292 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MissPop wrote: »
    If you like decorating, what about refurbing furniture? You can pick up old items like side tables, wooden dining chairs, upholstered chairs, that sort of thing, from charity shops, Freecycle, car boots etc for a note or two (or even free!)

With a tin of paint, a bit of fabric and an evening's work you can easily give them a new lease of life and sell them on :)

Trouble is with that is that everyone and their dog was doing it for the past couple of years, my facebook and local small adds are full of people trying to sell the stuff on. Nothing much seems to move at all and when it does it's so cheap it wouldn't even cover the materials.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A friend of mine was desperate for an extra income source when her children were very small and she was unable to leave the house in the evenings. She was reasonably adept with a sewing machine and did all her own repairs and alterations. Friends and neighbours started asking her to alter/repair items for them (for a fee) and purely by word of mouth she had plenty of jobs coming in.

After a while she decided to expand and started advertising locally. Eventually she took over a small shop premises in a small shopping centre and never looked back. She had so much work that she now employs 2 other staff members.

Much of what she does is pretty basic (replacing zips, shortening trousers/skirts, shortening curtains to fit different windows etc etc). It never ceases to amaze me the really simple sewing skills that people just don't have nowadays and are prepared to pay a pretty penny to have done for them. It's not just a matter of people being time-poor. A lot of them just haven't a clue where to start.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate all the comments guys. I think I’ll get the sewing machine out and give it another go, my Mum can help me learn she used to be really good at sewing. Would be nice to be able to make the smalls some things.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,678 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me the really simple sewing skills that people just don't have nowadays and are prepared to pay a pretty penny to have done for them. It's not just a matter of people being time-poor. A lot of them just haven't a clue where to start.

OH is very good with sewing machine, but her daughter (late 40s) hasn't a clue. Some skills were never passed down or taught by mothers to daughters as I suspect daughters couldn't be bothered or had other things to occupy their time and so they can't pass them down to their own daughters.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • MissPop
    MissPop Posts: 948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anniee88 wrote: »
    Thanks I appreciate all the comments guys. I think I’ll get the sewing machine out and give it another go, my Mum can help me learn she used to be really good at sewing. Would be nice to be able to make the smalls some things.

I'd get on YouTube or down to the local library for some tutorials/books :D It's amazing what you can learn from watching other people!

Make £2020 in 2020 - £263.78/£2020

2020 totals
    Swagbucks - £100 | Prolific Academic - £44.54 | Qmee - £10 | PopulusLive - £50

• Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you hand sew? I am involved with a cub group and there are loads of badges which have to be sewn on to their tops. I can do this for my kids but many parents don't seem to have the time/skills so I wonder if there is any mileage in offering that type of service if you have local groups.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes I hand sew. I had to hand sew 16 badges onto my husbands football kit last year. I want to upholster my sofa and make some bench cushions for our dining benches so I think I’ll get on YouTube and see what I can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure