carrying on with my debtfree journey..

Options
Just wanted to say that although I don't contribute much I do log on every day and read all your posts. I have had some real inspiration from all of you and it has made me look at every aspect of our financial situation and review it. I have sent complaint letters to our endowment companies and started on the road to getting our bank charges back. Our food bill is going down at last and we are currently feeding our family of 5 for around £50 a week. It has taken me 5 months to get it down to this from 80-90 a week so I'm really pleased. Then on Monday I saw my manager and asked if I could work 'compressed hours' basically working 3 long days (9.5 hour shifts instead of 7.5 hours) It means cutting down my weekly hours from 30 to 28.5 per week. She said 'Yes' so I am delighted!!! this means although I lose 1.5 hours pay per week (around £23) I will gain in other ways. I will save £10 per week on petrol and parking costs and another £25 pw on childcare and on top of that I get an extra day off per week.
Today DH had a metting with his vetting people for his work and they wanted to look at our finances. They congratulated him on how we were addressing our debt and turning it around and would be recomending that he keep his vetting for the next 8 or so years and would next be reviewed at the normal review point, they had our experian credit reports in front of them and it showed no late/missed payments in the last 12 months. So right now we are feeling really positive, so much so I went and blew £23 on a new inflatable mattress for our camping holiday. (Got a 10% discount with that too!):j
Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thats just great news.
    Glad that its all going so well for you.
    like you I am on the site most days aand my posts are short due to my typing with one finger!!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    themaccas,

Oh thats so brilliant how things are going.

Sounds like things are going your way and thats gotta be reason to smile :beer:
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • domestic_goddess
    domestic_goddess Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Options
    Sound like you are well on the way... I am like you i come on every day but it is only recently I have started to post. Well done on yor shopping budget by the way. That is where i am struggling to cut back!
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Great news & as always lovely to hear that people hae benefitted so much! Keep it going!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi themaccas :wave:

Great to see you posting again, was wondering how you were doing - and now we know! Brilliantly! Well done. :T

Wow - those savings from changing your work pattern really do add up!
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business