My debt free journey

Options
Way back when I joined MSE in August 2006 I was 6 months into my Trust Deed. I also had not told my parents about the magnitude of my debt (all £20,519 of it :eek: ) this excluded my car HP.

Although all looked fine on the outside I was still struggling to spend within my means. I was spending the money that was supposed to be put aside for things like my car (tax and maintainence), clothes, prescriptions etc.

If I had found MSE in October 2005 when I took the first steps towards my Trust Deed I would have spoken to CAB, CCCS or Payplan instead of going through a debt management company that charged for their services :eek: At the time I was desperate! I may have even been able to have done a DMP instead of the Trust Deed. That way I could have paid off all the money I owe instead of about 65% of it.

I found MSE by a very fortunate accident through google, I read a few of the main pages before I even saw the link to the chat forums. When I saw the DFW board I came straight here! I read a few posts before posting for the first time. With the support of people on here I told my parents of my debt and their reaction was not surprising at all! They went absoulutely through the roof but once they calmed down have been nothing but supportive since.

I have picked up so many tips from this site and I will always be eternally grateful for all the support people have given me.

~ I had my lightbulb moment in August 2006.
~ The lightbulb came on fully in October 2006.
~ I got a part time job with a babysitting agency to earn some extra money. (some travel money to go see OH in England!)
~ I started a spending diary which has kept me in check with every penny I spend!
~ I have started putting the money away each month that was designated in my budget for clothes prescriptions and my car.
~ I set myself a Christmas present challenge using cash at the end of October and was well within my budget for that.
~ I have been doing Mozzie's weekly challenge and after a shaky start of overspending have been doing really well with my No Spend Days.

I am even thinking ahead to 2007!

~ Next year if I am able to I am hoping to pay off my car so I can give more into my Trust Deed and pay back more of the money I owe.

If I can do it, then anyone can :j

A BIG thank you to everyone again for all the support I have been given on DFW and I hope this thread can inspire at least one person to have their lightbulb moment and start on their own debt free journey. :)

DFW Nerd no. 177 :)

~ Car HP - £1447.41 still to pay - Final payment July 2008 :T

~ 26 monthly payments left of my Trust Deed :)

~ Clear Credit Report March 2012 :T

PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done on your achievements. Step by step and you will get there (we all will).
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure