Quest for Financial Freedom

Options

Comments

• Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    All sorted, it worked out well in the end, the plumber I was to book in was going to cost £690 for the work and fitting materials (pipework etc). But he was booked out to end of March.

I got a recommendation from a guy ... £370, pretty much half the price! :D

Money saved and a little more value added to the house hopefully, solid day.
  • ch4rly2002
    Options
    Not just extra value to the property, it will help it sell when you eventually decide to move. I'd say that was a very good investment and it will make it more enjoyable for you living in the house. Well done on the price too!
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • Zola.
    Options
    Cheers Ch4rly!
  • Zola.
    edited 15 February 2017 at 10:02AM
    Options
    February has been a quiet month so far. We have watched a few movies and taken it pretty easy.

We have wanted a bookcase for sometime so we went shopping around.Most ones we liked were in the £300+ range but I found a lovely pine one, which was perfect and is good build quality. I had to build it up, but it was only £120, and looks great and fits well in our living room. Looks quite elegant. Already half full of books etc.

I also started some work in the kitchen, the last room in our house to get a decorating facelift. I have stripped the wallpaper off and preparing walls for some painting, maybe this weekend..

Nice little side project last week..... revamping an older website for a small business for £400. Was fairly easy work but very valuable to the owner.

I have invested £300 of this in Vanguard Global Small-Cap Index Accumulation and banked the rest in my everyday account for general run around money.
  • Zola.
    edited 28 February 2017 at 12:28PM
    Options
    March is basically here already!

Last week I did a full financial inspection of 2016 spending by month and put them into pie charts etc to study. It was a heavy spending year last year... we somehow managed to spend £8k in January, 4k in Feb...(house stuff mostly).

I have compared this with the first two months of this year, and the spending has quartered and halved, and that's including all bills and £800 a month for wedding saving. Seeing the comparative bar charts is very motivating to keep improving.

We have realised that we waste money on certain groceries each week, so we have started doing definitive lists, and using the slow cooker for the past few weeks, which has made for some budget friendly meals, and also very healthy!

I have upped my pension by another 2% which means 12% is going in every month, 6 by me, 6 by employer via salary sacrifice.

I have also upped our S&S ISA Direct Debit to £250 per month from 200, going into Vanguard LS 80%.

I dream of mortgage over-payments but until our wedding is done at the end of the year we wont be able to do so. Our rainy day fund has been floating at about £8500 for a short while and I want to bump that back over 10k ASAP.
  • Zola.
    Options
    Hope everyone is keeping well and making their own progress!

Since last update I have upped my monthly pension contribution to 14% of pay... the 2% jump makes a minimal effect on my net pay, but going in tax free its a decent little jump going into the fund over time.

Usual DD of £250 to investment is ticking along nicely.

Its now under 6 months to we get married, so most things are getting lined up planning wise!!

The current account balance is for the most part staying the same each month. We have been doing some things to the house and are finally in a position where we have it the way we want it, for the next couple of years at least!

We have been putting £800 a side each month into the wedding fund. Once that's taken care of we can really begin starting the overpayments, until then we havent done any, but very keen to begin.

Anyone else in a similar position to me?
  • Zola.
    edited 9 October 2017 at 10:08PM
    Options
    Long overdue update - I am now married! :) I go on honeymoon very soon...the wedding was amazing. Everyone had a great time, and the reports back were superb. We got so many good gifts also.

I never got a chance to do overpayments as we were so focused on saving for the wedding and were conservative. However, I am very happy to say we did our first overpayment this morning of £1400. If we put £350 a month extra into an overpayment account and pay the £1400 every quarter, we would be basically mortgage free in 10 years, 13 years early. I think that is an achievable target for now, we may be even able to attack it harder. The game has begun!! I plan to keep this thread updated more now that I can actually start making a dent in the bill.

Remaining balance: £120,800.

As of now we have shaved 4 months off the standard time on our mortgage! Our future selves will be glad that we started this...
  • Silence101
    Options
    Well done on your first OP, and congratulations Mr and Mrs!
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Options
    Congratulations happy saving.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • Zola.
    edited 10 October 2017 at 2:14PM
    Options
    Thank you both very much :)

Getting that first over payment done felt great. One small step at a time !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure