Temporary Worker - Maternity Benefits?

Options
Hi There

I currently work 25 hours a week on a temporary contract with a recruitmanet agency. Hubby & I desperately want a baby but i'm a little worried as I don't know what maternity benefits I will be entitled to? I have worked for the agency since the end of November 2004. The contract i'm on at the moment was meant to be for 3 months it now looks like it will go on till at least september.

Would I be better off looking for permanent work or wouldn't it make much difference?

Thanks for any advice!
something missing

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

You'd be best checking all the details from somewhere like Matermity Alliance.

I qualified for some maternity pay even though i had resigned from my part-time job in early pregnancy.This is because in the 66 weeks before baby was due i had worked for at least 26 of them earning at least £30 week.

I had to submit wage slips for them to work out the amount i was due.(i can't remember how to work it out).

I think SMP if you qualified for that instead is something like 90% of wages for 6 weeks followed by 18 weeks at around £100, but i'm not sure of the criteria to qualify.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To qualify for SMP you need to have been employed for 26 weeks by your employer at the 15th week before your baby is due and have earned the minimum amount to have paid NI on. Agency workers are sometimes employed on a day to day basis so therefore this is not straightforward.

Depending on what you earn, you maybe better off receiving SMP to get the 90% of earnings (no limit) for the first 6 weeks and but otherwise you would be entitled to Maternity Allowance at £106.00 or 90% of your earnings whichever is lower.
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport