Shift Premium

Options
after working night shift at my employers for a couple of years through an agency i was given a temporary contract by the place i work at. all the employees on night shift get a shift premium but in my contract it says this does not apply. i have now been offered a new temporary contract stating the same. could anyone tell me if this is legal or do i have the right to be paid the same rate as everyone else there?

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless you can show that you are not getting the extra money because of your race/sex/religion etc then it is legal for them not pay you the same shift premium as the others
  • thanks for the response. its my understanding that as an agency worker having completed 12 weeks employment i would be entitled to be paid the same as permanent colleagues? but as a temporary employee im not entitled to these same rights? apologies for asking the same question twice.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thanks for the response. its my understanding that as an agency worker having completed 12 weeks employment i would be entitled to be paid the same as permanent colleagues? but as a temporary employee im not entitled to these same rights? apologies for asking the same question twice.

Basically yes.
  • ww.gov.uk/fixed-term-contracts/employees-rights(cant link but thats where this is from)

2. Employees' rights

Employers must not treat workers on fixed-term contracts less favourably than permanent employees doing the same or largely the same job,

Employers must also ensure that fixed-term employees get:

the same pay and conditions as permanent staff
    the same or equivalent benefits package

so now im more confused
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ww.gov.uk/fixed-term-contracts/employees-rights(cant link but thats where this is from)

2. Employees' rights

Employers must not treat workers on fixed-term contracts less favourably than permanent employees doing the same or largely the same job,

so now im more confused

It's not that simple. The policy may not apply to ALL fixed term employees, or even apply to you solely because you are on a FTC.

And there's always the risk of them simply sacking you, as you don't have 2 years employment.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    ww.gov.uk/fixed-term-contracts/employees-rights(cant link but thats where this is from)

2. Employees' rights

so now im more confused
    But that doesn't account for the fact that employees are often on didn't rates of pay or allowances. These things change and newer staff can be paid differently.

And as is common, summaries of law are misleading. What the law actually says is that employers must not treat employees on fixed term contracts differently because they are on a fixed term contract. That leaves a lot of room to manoeuvre!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure