Very noisy front brake on cycle

Options
2»

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    You need to set the brake blocks with some toe-in.
    How is that achieved please ?. In the past I can only slant the two pads a little off a horizontal plane which has at least stopped the squealing sometimes, but that isn t a true toe-in. To "toe -in " one edge of the pad has to be in front of the rear slightly, like a car tyres front wheels sometimes are .
    I m not sure if that is possible with my caliper brake set-up.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Toe-in looks like this. If the pad mounting on your brake won't allow any adjustment in the correct plane, you can always taper the pad by filing away the heel.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 November 2017 at 7:33PM
    Options
    How is that achieved please ?. In the past I can only slant the two pads a little off a horizontal plane which has at least stopped the squealing sometimes, but that isn t a true toe-in. To "toe -in " one edge of the pad has to be in front of the rear slightly, like a car tyres front wheels sometimes are .
    I m not sure if that is possible with my caliper brake set-up.
    If you have the non adjustable caliper brakes then you put a twist in the actual caliper arm using an adjustable spanner. https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/sidepull-brake-service
    see item 5.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    If you have the cheap old fashioned caliper brakes then you put a twist in the actual caliper using an adjustable spanner.

The toe-in obviously wears away and returns the brake pad surface back parallel with the rim, and so then needs re-setting. If you were to do that by bending the caliper some more each time, you would then have to bend it all the way back to the start again after you replace the pads with new ones. You won't do that many times before you end up with a broken caliper.

Do not do this!
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    The toe-in obviously wears away and returns the brake pad surface back parallel with the rim, and so then needs re-setting. If you were to do that by bending the caliper some more each time, you would then have to bend it all the way back to the start again after you replace the pads with new ones. You won't do that many times before you end up with a broken caliper.

Do not do this!
    Or, when the pad returns to flat against the rim, change the pad. A lot cheaper than snapping a caliper :)

I have done this on an old-school centre-pull (non-adjustable) caliper, and it does work. But I would have thought any caliper on a bike made in the last 20 years would have allen bolt adjusters for pad alignment.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure