Working as a field interviewer for Ipsos MORI

Options
I was wondering if anyone has experience of working as a field interviewer for Ipsos MORI? I have seen a lot of adverts for it recently and was wondering about doing it on the side of my office job. It sounds really flexible and says you can earn up to £65 per "shift", which is 4-6 hours long, and you need to do at least three per week. I was just wondering what it's really like, and whether you can actually just pick and choose your hours like that? I would be looking for the three "shifts" and not more, but would those three shifts be more or less guaranteed?

I would like to hear of any general experience people may have :)

Many thanks,

Laura

Comments

• indianabones
    Options
    I doubt you will get many people who work at the company responding here because of the size of the company. If it were a massive multi-national company it would be different.

The best option for you to get some input is probably the following:

1. Make contact with current members of staff at IPSOS via LinkedIn, most people are very helpful that way.
    2. Use some online review sites, glassdoor is generally a fair (with small samples) and you can identify with like to like roles and locations.

From the brief scan of glassdoor, Ipsos seems to exaggerate the money part and there's a very watch over your shoulder attitude. That would immediately put me off.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I doubt you will get many people who work at the company responding here because of the size of the company. If it were a massive multi-national company it would be different.

Ipsos MORI is a huge multi national company. Sorry I have not worked for it but have been interviewed a few times by their employees.
  • indianabones
    Options
    My apologies, I was going by the number of reviews on glassdoor.

But only 40 reviews for a company with 16000 employees. Either the employees don't want to get input and provide input on working for them, or they're not familiar with review websites.

Well point regarding the company still stands. Looks like they feed exaggerated figures in terms of pay and they like to watch what you're doing all the time.
  • worried123
    worried123 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 October 2017 at 9:09PM
    Options
    Without going into details and of course dont just take my word for it....ipsos dont pay very well at all......two types of work....one is door to door and one is set addresses....the door to door has to be done over two days and there are field work dates to follow and set addresses has to include evenings and weekends etc....but truly, its stressful and it does not pay - you will only get paid for what you achieve - if you have a bad day you will not earn ........you would have to go to the main office for briefings. You will pay full tax on every penny if you already work elsewhere......it is sort of flexible up to a point....and you probably would get 3 days work a week....
    i think they also do telephone interviewing at the offices but i ahe never got involved in this...maybe these are shifts as well. I can earn in a day with my company what i earn for a whole several day assignment with them. Its hard work as well and i feel that if you already have a job it might be too much - and you will have no guarantee of income with ipsos.

Could you possibly get overtime or more days with your current employer perhaps. Good luck what ever you decide to do.
  • yoyo1980
    yoyo1980 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    They offer telephone interview work from home using their virtual call centre. Zero hour, minimum wage but work is work. It's paid by the hour rather than results etc. You can earn more the better you but the standards they set.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I worked for them 2 years ago for 6 months

I'm an experienced field worker and have worked for many research companies, I would never work for IM again

Never will you make what they say

You are given a job with X amount of hours allocated to it. So let's say they want 22 interviews, they will say 8 hours. Only each interview takes twice as long as they allocate. You also have to get your target responders, say 5 over 50, 5 under 21, the rest inbetween, but within that you have to have so many of the different sex, plus they need so many of differing social classifications, and in my case, being NI, so many of either Prod or Catholic background

Not easy finding a Prod AB male over 50 on a Catholic council estate

Plus you only get mileage, not travel time unless it's a certain distance away

One study I done I spent over 30 hrs on, in the middle of winter, and pay worked out at something like £4 an hour. Because they pay for the job, not the hours it takes you

Their studies are done on a lap top, and they may run six different studies at a time, usually with a short film or advert. Many responses you have to type word for word. There is just no way you can make targets

I jacked it in when because one day, I was soaking wet, freezing cold, had doors closed on my face all day, that I took an interview in the home of a single male who was paraletic drunk. I was in there over an hour, repeating questions because I was so desperate to hit target. When I left his home, I rang straight in and quit

Other companies I have worked for had realistic targets and paid per interview and were well worth doing. IM recruit all year round as most people who do the training only last until the assisted pay ( first three studies) is over
  • rufusfluffly
    Options
    Just wondering what companies you would recommend for field research jobs? Which ones have you enjoyed or heard good things about? Would prefer social rather than market research, as IPSOS seems more market, eventhough it says its both.
  • Highgate
    Options
    You could consider:
    NatCen (National Centre for Social Research)

Or:
    ONS (Office for National Statistics)

ONS recruits for full-time jobs, but both may offer part-time or flexible working.
  • unslick
    unslick Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 4 November 2018 at 2:13AM
    Options
    I have to agree with the comments above. Stay the hell away from these slave masters. I unfortunately worked for this unprofessional outfit and I wouldn't want anyone else to suffer as I did. I worked in their call centre in Edinburgh, from home via their virtual call centre (VCC) and as a field interviewer. I constantly had issues from everything from claiming back expenses, to rude and aggressive supervisors accusing me of not doing my work properly.

The offices in London might be run more professionally, but their Edinburgh office is something else!

I won't go into details but all I'll say is, if you have any self-esteem and value your mental health, then I'd advise for you to STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM Ipsos MORI! If you do end up working for them, don't say I didn't warn you. :eek:

PS.
    Don't take my word for it. Do a search for reviews about working for them.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The abuse you will get from members of the public repeatedly harrassed by IPSOS MORI makes the job unbearable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure