Any overseas / QROPS experts out there ?

Options
I lived and worked in Jersey in the Channel Islands for 13 years before returning to the UK in 2016. Whilst in Jersey I built up workplace pension pot but my last employer over there did not run a QROPS registered scheme. Now I am back in the UK and planning to stay here I wanted to move my pension pot over and add it to my workplace SIPP.

However I am struggling to find any pension provider that will accept a NON QROPS registered scheme into the UK. As I am no longer resident in Jersey I cannot move it from the current scheme into a QROPS registered scheme. The Jersey workplace pension advisor said there should be UK providers that will accept it as is but couldn't say who ?
Does anyone have any ideas ??
Total Unsecured Debt at October 2018 £29,411
02/20 £ 6,374:j

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Exactly what kind of scheme did you pay into in Jersey? Is it a Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme (ROPS)?

If the scheme you paid into isn't considered a qualifying pension scheme by HMRC, you can't transfer it into any UK pension scheme. It would count as a contribution and would therefore be subject to the restrictions on earned income and Annual Allowance.
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's very rare that I see someone wanting to bring a pension sitting outside the UK jurisdiction in to the UK - it's much more often the other way around. Why are you looking to achieve this rather than leaving the scheme offshore?
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • bostonerimus
    Options
    Why not leave it in Jersey? Check the tax treaty and current rules, I don't know them for sure, but I bet the pension will remain tax deferred from UK and jersey tax until you take income from it when it will be taxable in the UK (if you are a UK resident) and you can file a DT form to get relief from tax in Jersey.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dont forget you are also entitled to a partial Jersey State Pension too.
  • cado1
    cado1 Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    It's very rare that I see someone wanting to bring a pension sitting outside the UK jurisdiction in to the UK - it's much more often the other way around. Why are you looking to achieve this rather than leaving the scheme offshore?

I thought it would be best to put it all into one pot ? It's currently invested in a couple of mutual funds and I wanted to manage it more actively ?
  • cado1
    Options
    Why not leave it in Jersey? Check the tax treaty and current rules, I don't know them for sure, but I bet the pension will remain tax deferred from UK and jersey tax until you take income from it when it will be taxable in the UK (if you are a UK resident) and you can file a DT form to get relief from tax in Jersey.

Thanks for this information i'll investigate the tax treaty status
  • cado1
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    Dont forget you are also entitled to a partial Jersey State Pension too.

Yes I qualify for 27% of whatever the Jersey state pension is when I retire :-)
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I only have 7 years lol. You need a min of 6 to qualify
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing