Going home from work through illness

Options

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    Options
    She should double check that no sickness will be recorded if she makes up the 1.5 hours. I don't understand why she would be expecting to receive sick pay for Friday if she doesn't normally work on Fridays?
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Sarastro
    Sarastro Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    This all comes down to not having a clear policy, I think. I think I'd be inclined to work the hours I'd missed rather than argue the point and ask for clarification on the sickness policy. It doesn't seem fair that part time workers are treated differently to full time.

Also doesn't seem fair that a non-working day can be counted as a sick day - you weren't working anyway - although it may still count as a period of absence. Again, depends on what the policy says.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just to note that if they don't work it back, it will be classed as an incident of sickness / absence - is it really worth it for 1.5 hours?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    We don't actually know there isn't a clear policy. Just because someone doesn't know the policy doesn't mean it isn't clear. The OP hasn't been back to explain their policy.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Just to update, there is no clear policy, it is at the discretion of the line manager. Apparently, other line managers are more lenient than others...
    My friend has agreed to work the 1.5 hours, but she does still feel aggrieved that there is no consistency.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Either she was sick that day and it will be recorded as such, or she left 1.5 hours early and needs to make up the time? If she had gone home earlier in the day it's likely tgat it would have been marked as a whole or half-day sick, but as she almost worked the whole day they're calling it a working day. Line managers may get discretion over whether to make the employee work that 1.5 hours or let them off it.

Most people would rather work an extra 1.5 hours another day rather than hace an extra day of sickness on their record. Especially as in many places just 6 or 8 days of sickness a year can trigger a manager meeting or affect any internal job applications.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The employer does pay sick pay. Six months full pay/six months half pay.

Public sector?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Just to update, there is no clear policy, it is at the discretion of the line manager. Apparently, other line managers are more lenient than others...
    My friend has agreed to work the 1.5 hours, but she does still feel aggrieved that there is no consistency.
    In that case the answer is clear - it's management discretion. Managers discretion can occur in lots of situations. And it may not be "fair", but you could argue that she doesn't work that many hours anyway. I'm not saying that. But that's the thing - somebody else might argue it isn't fair on full time workers and there's just as good an argument. Personally I wouldn't argue about it if someone is a good attender normally. But that's my discretion!
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    My friend works 30 hours and has had 5 days off in a rolling twelve-month period,4 days with Flu and one with an ongoing knee problem.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’ve worked at several hospitals and one of them worked like that. People soon learnt that if you felt off you wouldn’t go in at all rather than risk having to leave and then owing hours. I bet the person in this thread won’t make the same mistake again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure