Employer never gave me a contract of any kind

Options
I work for a digital agency and all i ever got was an email with the job offer. I have worked there for 7 months. I was never given any contract to sign or any information on warning procedures or client confidentiality. I am not really that bothered by it but I just wandered who would have the advantage in any kind of dispute? In theory could I walk out with their clients or go work for a direct competitor and there is nothing they could do about it? What if i was to be given a warning could i just not accept it since nobody has out lined any kind of rules of employment etc?

Comments

• Crazy_Jamie
    Crazy_Jamie Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The person who had the 'advantage' in any kind of dispute would depend very much on what the dispute was about. Your employer can agree contractual terms with you orally and/or by conduct, but it does become a lot more difficult to prove that they exist if they're not written down. Realistically, if your employer tried to assert a particular right without having it agreed in writing they may well find themselves in difficulty.

In terms of your other queries, if you haven't signed a restrictive covenant there would likely be nothing to stop you stealing clients or working for a direct competitor. You do have some duties to your employer as an employee so you shouldn't think that you can just do anything, but they would again be in some difficulty restricting you in what you could or couldn't do after leaving the job if they hadn't got something signed in writing.

As regards the warning, that is a different matter, because disciplinary procedures can be a matter of policy if they are not contractual. You could argue that a procedure for giving you a warning was unfair because you hadn't been told about it in advance, and that may be more relevant if you were to bring an unfair dismissal claim, but you can't physically stop them from giving you a warning, and it would be unwise to just declare that you're not accepting it.

Two further points you should be aware of, though. The first is that they are legally obliged to provide you with written particulars of your employment. It is something that you can request if you're so minded. The second is that you need to be working for them for two years before you have a right to bring an unfair dismissal claim. I only mention that because doing something such as declaring that you're not accepting a warning could simply result in your dismissal, and you would likely have no recourse in that respect, at least as far as unfair dismissal is concerned, without two years' service. Just something to bear in mind.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Two further points you should be aware of, though. The first is that they are legally obliged to provide you with written particulars of your employment. It is something that you can request if you're so minded. The second is that you need to be working for them for two years before you have a right to bring an unfair dismissal claim. I only mention that because doing something such as declaring that you're not accepting a warning could simply result in your dismissal, and you would likely have no recourse in that respect, at least as far as unfair dismissal is concerned, without two years' service. Just something to bear in mind.

They are but there is very little you can do about it if the don't!

If you had some other valid grounds to take them to an employment tribunal you could add this failing to your claim and you might get a little extra compensation.

At one time you could have made this claim on its own but that is no longer the case. Equally, in the past compensation for the failing was an automatic right and not discretionary as it is now.
  • BonsaiClouds
    Options
    Have you asked them about it? You might not be bothered by it, but it's a useful thing to have. Yes, you probably could as a result get away with doing x, y, or z, but it could easily lead to you being dragged into an employment tribunal, and would you really want that hassle? I'd say it'd be best to just bring it up with your employer and sort out a written contract.
  • Crazy_Jamie
    Crazy_Jamie Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    Options
    They are but there is very little you can do about it if the don't!

If you had some other valid grounds to take them to an employment tribunal you could add this failing to your claim and you might get a little extra compensation.

At one time you could have made this claim on its own but that is no longer the case. Equally, in the past compensation for the failing was an automatic right and not discretionary as it is now.
    Quite right. I didn't mention the compensation element simply because, as you say, it only comes into play with some other valid claim.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
  • recci
    recci Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    I have also noticed that neither one of the directors show up in companies house register as directors. They both have resigned positions in past companies. I cant find the company listed either. Seems rather dodgy now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not from same nature of business but still a small one - I'd suggest looking on your CRM 'url type' bar if you have one for finding out any company previous name link to any former company-selves. I'm afraid to ask to much as I know sometimes if you seem to get to nosy or do ask to many questions relating to business matters they could just get rid. Happened to a ex colleague who once queried invoices when in new job and it was reckoned by doing that she was axed fairly swiftly.

I'm the same got a really great job email offer letter, I thought this is re-assuring turned up to find no policies seem to exist (yet!) - as one that really stands out ended up in a room full of professional smart dressed men, there was me feeling bad in a cardi and smart top, I was just waiting until I get pulled in and told not acceptable - spent the weekend frantically trying to get smart formal office wear in summer time to comply. I do miss my uniform but this new employer doesn't need to know that I guess. I imagine if you carry on doing something not appreciated they would soon say ideally.
    Started somewhere before and on 4th day I was being ushered to finish at this particular place for the day, said to the colleague will you be much longer as they should have finished same time, I was overheard - next day I walked in and ended up in manager office to explain just why I'd said that so I'm always a bit nervy when similar situation ever pops up.

Sorry for waffling off topic.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    recci wrote: »
    I have also noticed that neither one of the directors show up in companies house register as directors. They both have resigned positions in past companies. I cant find the company listed either. Seems rather dodgy now.

Do they describe the organisation as a limited company, either Ltd or PLC? If not either of those, then it will not be registered at Companies House. It can still be a company but not a company with limited liability.
  • recci
    recci Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    ah so they could both be sole traders employing people? They describe it as a partnership but thats it.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    It could be a privately owned partnership (some law firms still are - although these days most are now LLPs or Ltd companies).

May be using a trading name - but presumably you've looked - if there are any other live interests in their name(s), when you found them via Duedil etc.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure