Work seven days a week

Options
Is this doable? I am thinking of challenging myself to do this.
Another night of thankfulness.

Comments

• lisawurtzbach
    Options
    Why not?! It's very doable if you focus your mind in working for straight seven days a week. I just hope it would be like 8 hours a day so you can still manage other things on the side. What kind of work you are in now?
  • elephantrosie
    Options
    thanks for the reply. i intend to do jobs non related to my usual 9- 5 weekday job. cheers
    Another night of thankfulness.
  • Newusername1
    Newusername1 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the reply. i intend to do jobs non related to my usual 9- 5 weekday job. cheers

Did effectively 6.5 days a week for 8 years, wouldn't do it personally, something went entirely wrong with my life when I started doing things like this.
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    is it short term or long term?, if for a few months then it possible but if for longer what kind of life would you have.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    short term while young, its very draining.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this doable? I am thinking of challenging myself to do this.

Is it doable? In what way?
    Are you quite young?
  • barnaclebill
    Options
    At sea you work 7 days a week on watch through the night or if on days you are liable for call out any time through the night for emergency or arrivals and departures. A few years ago there was a rule that you could get overtime for over 10 hours a day but emergencies and arrivals and departures did not count.
    The good part was after 6 months you got 3 months leave at home to recover, towards the end of my time at sea the leave increased and the time away reduced, in the end I was on 3 on 3 off on full pay.
    So the answer is you can do most things and you do adapt to conditions.
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    anajames wrote: »
    I think it is not difficult to work seven days a week, although it does get boring and you might want to run away.
    I worked at a departmental store where had to go seven days a week for 8 hrs. I believe there should be a balance and i think would not recommend going on this plan for a long term.

For how long seven days a week every week will soon make you pretty bored and if you have to travel on top of that be even worse. For a few weeks you can do it but not for long, unless it is a job that is like a hobby for you.
  • Planet_Switzerland
    Options
    As someone who's always found it hard to say no to more money, what I will say is know where to draw the line.

An example from my experience is when I finished college I was working part time at a supermarket. I think my last exam was around June 20th and after this I would try and get as much overtime as possible which would include 7 day weeks. I hated the shifts that finished at closing time at 21:00 the most as you'd have to wait for all the customers to leave before you could go, plus everyone would be down the pub whilst I'd still be at work (they closed at 23:00 in those days). Unfortunately my standard shifts all finished at 21:00 and most the overtime going did too, but I just thought of the money and took pretty much all the overtime that came my way.

In intended to stay there right up till I started uni mid September, then decided to leave beginning of September to give myself a break but also meant I'd get more holiday pay I'd not taken. Around a month after my final exam I was given my rota for the next 3 weeks and pretty much every shift said - 21:00 and for me that was it, I handed my notice in the next day and left 4 weeks before uni began. I spent the rest of the summer making up for lost time (i.e. spending money) and by the end of the summer I'd barely saved anything.

The following summer I foolishly went back to work at the supermarket the morning after my last exam and was given 6 day weeks. I got so fed up I left 5 weeks before going back to uni and ended the summer with a fair bit less in my bank to what I started with.

The summer before my final year I did Mon-Fri 9-5 jobs which was at a slightly higher hourly rate, but not too much. I can't remember if I gave myself a week or two off before going back, but I ended the summer with more money in my bank than I'd ever had in my life. Made my final year much more comfortable.
  • Twisted_Princess
    Options
    It's doable.

But a few things may happen.

1) You will get bored of working so much you despise your job or

2) You will be working too much and you will become exhausted and cause yourself a lot of stress

3) Depending on your hours you may have no life outside work
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport