Cheap Personal Car Loans

Options
MSE_Amy
MSE_Amy Posts: 53 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The link goes here - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/error

Oops.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The link goes here - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/error

Oops.

Someone at MSE towers needs to get the page sorted.
  • Jon_Peart
    Options
    I have read a fair number of articles now on PCP and all say the same thing - it makes it cheaper to drive a newer car as it defers the a lot of the interest to the backend of the agreement.

I would like some clarity on this if possible as it seems to me, from the calculators I have used, that the cost of credit is calculated from the car price less any deposits and does not deduct the GFV prior to the interest being calculated.

As such, a more expensive car will be more expensive on monthly payments through PCP regardless of the residual value - is this correct?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 June 2017 at 2:48PM
    Options
    Correct. You're still paying the depreciation on it and that will be higher on a more expensive car. My Mondeo I bought at 2 years old was just 40% of its new value. In comparison most small hatchbacks at that age would be likely to be well over 60% of their new value.

The only cheap car finance is 0% offers but even then you tend to find that you need a 50% deposit and that deposit will be money that you no longer have which will be losing returns it could have earned so the 0% finance with 50% deposit is actually potentially costing you around 3%.
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PCP doesn't really "defers a lot of interest compared to the backend"; it defers more of the capital due to be repayed. As a result each month with a PCP deal you pay less than with a loan (or hire purchase), but at the end of the PCP deal you have to make a large capital payment in order to keep the car. Each PCP monthly payment is comprised of relatively more interest and less capital repayment than a loan.

Your interest calculation is correct.

A more expensive car will almost always be more expensive than a cheaper car on any loan, hire purchase or PCP arrangement, if all else is equal. This assumes in particular that the two cars have the same interest rate (APR). Sometimes more expensive new cars can work out cheaper including interest payments than apparently cheaper used cars because the new car manufacturer will offer discounted interest rates and incentives.

A particular car may be cheaper on a PCP deal where the manufacturer and\or dealer offer incentives to take out the PCP deal.
  • antrouser
    antrouser Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This useful discussion has missed one point. The GFV is the estimate of the value of the car at the end of the agreed lease term. So cars that hold their value well will have higher GFV and that means there is less to be paid off during the term. Obviously the payment to purchase the car afterwards will be higher, but you don't have to purchase it. So PCP can be a good way to buy a quality car that holds its value and these can look better value than more ordinary cars.
  • Simo_B
    Simo_B Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    There is a fourth option at the end of the PCP and that is to re-PCP the vehicle. This can be done until the car is 7 years old.
  • wooie649
    Options
    I am considering utilising the voluntary hand back for my car. I have now paid over 50% of the cars value, so can hand it back at no extra cost. However it is not yet the end of my agreement. The dealer who I financed the car with advised me that if I do this it will show as a negative mark against my credit report for 6 years. Is this true?nd how much of an impact will this have on my credit score? If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. Thank you
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 January 2021 at 9:36AM
    Options
    No it's not true that it's a negative mark. It will show as settled. And any drop in your score as a result is irrelevant.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 January 2021 at 11:17AM
    Options
    Your credit score is a fictitious number that lenders don't even see.
    Your dealer may lose commission if you VT and therefore cannot be relied on to give you an unbiased opinion.
    NB: it's not 50% of value, it's 50% of the total credit taken.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure