Usin a sipp to invest in cape verde

Options
Hi

I have recently been contacted by a company called Global Choice who are "selling" me the idea of transferring my pension fund into a sipp (?) and buying a propety in Cape Verde. The figures he quoted on the return seemed too good to be true ( av 19.6% pa)
I haven't got a clue really what to do , the returns look good but as for checking this company and the one in Cape Verde : The Resort Group out I wouldn't know where to start.
He assured me my money would be safe as its covered by HMRC regulations . Is this tru does anyone know ? Has anyone had dealings with this/these companies.

I am trying to get as much information as I can so I can make an informed decision on what to do .

Thanks in advance for any replies/help anyone can give me

Steve

Comments

• Perelandra
    Perelandra Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    Options
    Steer clear. Any company that cold-calls you about your pension is breaking the rules and so, by definition, is dodgy.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    stand back and read your own post again!
    1. 'cold call' in finance = scam. Not just sometimes but always.
    2. transferring your pension - and so lose all the future employer contributions? (i.e. giving up free money.)
    3. do you know anything about Cape Verde? where it is, the climate (windy!), how undeveloped the tourist industry is, the bad reviews on Tripadvisor. Have you met anyone who has been there?
    4. If it seems too good to be true, then it is. Always.
    5. HMRC make regulations to take your money away (taxes), not save or protect it. (therefore bullshine).
    6. I think you know the answer already, just needed confirmation.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a property investment in a foreign currency in a country you don't know. The risk factors are piling up on top of each other.
    steve2361 wrote: »
    He assured me my money would be safe as its covered by HMRC regulations .

HMRC is not there to protect you from poor investment choices. You could invest 100% of your pension pot in one single quoted company if you wanted and this would still be within the HMRC regulations, but if the company went belly-up (Woolworths, Comet, Zavvi anyone), you'd lose all of your pension. HMRC wouldn't help. If the salesman is trying to give you reassurances based on HMRC's involvment in pensions, that should ring huge alarm bells.

It's pretty easy to guarantee (and even to deliver) a high return for the first few years. It's a very good way to persuade investors to invest even more. Simply put a proportion of the investment in the bank and pay it back to the investor over a few years. The rest can be spent on any hairbrained scheme they can think of, or siphoned off in consultancy, legal, accountancy, or architects fees to their friends until their's nothing left.

You already know the answer. Even if the property scheme is well planned and fully legal it's still madness to invest a large proportion of your funds in a single sector of the economy of a foreign country.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,378 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a property investment in a foreign currency in a country you don't know. The risk factors are piling up on top of each other.

and by an unregulated company cold calling. It has so many alarm bells ringing that you would have to be a fool to consider it.
    He assured me my money would be safe as its covered by HMRC regulations .

That is an out and out lie. HMRC rules cover what is allowed with pensions. it does not cover the investments within it and certainly does not offer any form of protection. 100% of your money is at risk.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • TH1878
    TH1878 Posts: 458 Forumite
    Options
    Follow the golden rule:

"If something seems too good to be true, it almost always is"

I've had clients (from previous advisers) who have been burnt by this type of investment. Do some research into Stirling Mortimer.

I would be very very surprised if this is not a UCIS (UNREGULATED Collective Investment Scheme)

Keep WELL clear.
  • purch
    purch Posts: 9,865 Forumite
    Options
    Did he tell you which Island the "cash cow" was located on ?
    'In nature, there are neither rewards nor punishments - there are Consequences.'
  • mania112
    mania112 Posts: 1,981 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 October 2013 at 8:30PM
    Options
    He assured me my money would be safe as its covered by HMRC regulations

HMRC have no regulations that keep money safe. Frankly, HMRC are the tax man, they take, they don't protect.

From this alone we can see the salesman is spinning you a yarn.

Besides the obvious things about protecting your retirement income (which you are bound to lose by the way, if you do this) - I would struggle to justify any knowledge about the value of property in another part of England than where I live.... so something on a tiny island off Africa, no chance. The risk is too high.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't got a clue really

What makes you think that you are such a special snowflake that this nice man picked you out to chuck money at?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    and if residential property, not allowed in a Sipp anyway.

SCAM written all over it, avoid
  • StephenCo_2
    Options
    I was cold called by First Review Pension Services (not regulated) who arranged for a company called Capital Facts to obtain (with my authority) balance details from my pension providers, under the auspices of a "free pension review"

The advisor arrived from a company called Choices Wealth (not regulated) and started talking about how my pension was underperforming and would not produce much of a pension if it carried on as it has done the last 12 years.

Then he started talking about alternatives, except he was talking about one very specific alternative in particular, which was moving my pension funds into a trust fund creating a SSAS (they would set up a company for me in my name with me as the sole director). The SSAS would be administered by a company called Bespoke Pension Services (but they also use Cantwell Grove and Rowanmoor).

They would use the funds to purchase a fractional interest in a hotel development on Boa in the Cape Verde Islands, developed by The Resort Group and managed by Melia ("the worlds largest resort based hotelier"). Lots of facts and figures about how Cape Verde is the next Caribbean and tourism increasing there year on year. The minimum investment is £23000, conveniently exactly what I had available.

I would then get rental income from my interest during the period it is occupied (296 days a year on average) split between me and Melia. The fraction itself would increase in value from my initial £23000 to £40000 based on 6% growth per year (blah blah blah) I'd be locked in for 5 years but could sell it after that. The rental income would start immediately and would be reinvested into my pension fund by Astute Financial Management, along with my own continuing contributions. Ultimately the value of the fraction would go in the pot too. He gave some impressive projections (but they always do) and dismissed my concerns about earthquakes, wars, political upheavals and economic collapses, they way they do. All the parties involved have a legitimate appearing internet presence, of course.

He did say that HMRC will only grant approval to certain types of overseas property investment because they lose tax opportunities if my pension goes belly up. This particular type of investment is one which they approve. He also mentioned the involvement of reputable firms like Deloitte, Savills and Metro Bank dealing with accounting, valuing and banking.

I said I was interested but would get independent advice. He told me I'm not locked into anything until I sign the fund transfer papers.

I don't know if it is a scam or not, there are a lot of people working for these companies and they are a big operation. I know they are more interested in flogging their fractions than what happens to my pension, but underneath it all it is possible it might be a fruitful investment. Until I read these pages I was leaning towards signing up. Now I'm not so sure. Isn't every investment a leap of faith to some degree?

I don't know if I will leap or not but I imagine other people will be in the same position as me and maybe this post will come up if they type the same names into a search engine. I hope others will contribute with their experiences and advice so that if it is a scam, people will be warned, and if it is a kosher pension investment, people will be reassured.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure